Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child tax credits and savings

(5 Posts)
FTS123 Wed 04-Feb-15 07:25:08

Do your savings affect your ctc? I will have some equity from my house (divorcing) which will be used to buy a new I have to declare it? If I do and my ctc get cut I'll have to start using that money to pay bills thus reducing my deposit for a house! If that makes sense!

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Wed 04-Feb-15 07:26:01

Yes, I think the savings threshold is £16k? I could be wrong. But yes, you are expected to live off savings.

CantBeBotheredThinking Wed 04-Feb-15 07:35:00

Yes and No, the actual savings themselves won't affect tax credits however you will need to declare the interest received which may then affect your claim depending on circumstances

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 04-Feb-15 08:59:56

Tax credits are worked out based on taxable income. If you get interest on your savings, that will be taken into account because it's income. The savings themselves are not taken into account.

FTS123 Wed 04-Feb-15 09:14:39

Ok that makes sense! Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now