Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Question about claiming contribution based Jsa

(13 Posts)
chocnomorechoc Tue 03-Feb-15 21:04:38

I am being made redundant (after having worked without gap for 10 years). If I want to claim Jsa, do I have to claim straight away or can I start claiming 2 months after redundancy. I have a severely disabled child and don't have access to childcare during the summer and intend to sign on after the school hols (if I haven't found a new job). Will lose my job end of June/beginning of July.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Tue 03-Feb-15 21:18:43

If I were you I would sign on ASAP regardless of school holidays, you will have to make yourself available for work and tell them you will put him in childcare if you get a job. By the time you find something suitable he will be back school I expect.

chocnomorechoc Wed 04-Feb-15 06:14:38

there is no childcare for children like my child. I had also a 3 week holiday booked last year before I knew I would loose my work. I have never signed on before so really clueless confused

Arsenic Wed 04-Feb-15 06:19:03

Why don't you clam Carer's Allowance and Income Support over the summer (no requirement to seek work)? Is your child in receipt of DLA?

chocnomorechoc Wed 04-Feb-15 06:50:00

I have a DP and won't get income support. JSA is more than carer's and I do want to get back into work in Sept. I just don't think there is a point trying to find a job permanen job to start in june when I cannot work over the summer. Would be happy to temp though between redundancy and summer hols.

and yes, we get DLA - it all goes on therapies, special diet and equipment (and doesn't even cover that).

chocnomorechoc Wed 04-Feb-15 06:52:57

and as I only can work school hours (because of DC and no access to any type of childcarr) I don't think I will find work quickly. So gettingn Jsa will make a few £££ difference to getting carera allowance.

chocnomorechoc Wed 04-Feb-15 06:54:13

Can I sign on in June and take a 'sign on break'over the summer??

Arsenic Wed 04-Feb-15 07:04:22

Ah sorry, forgot to ask about any DP income.

The DLA is what allows you to claim CA.

Probably your best option is to claim both CA & C-JSA (they overlap but you'll get a Carers premium plus JSA in practice = JSA + 35£ish ) and then sign off for the summer holidays and just claim CA for the six weeks.

You can sign off and reclaim whenever you want subject to C-JSA limits.

I'm getting a bit rusty though so best to double check. Contact a family helpline are good smile

Arsenic Wed 04-Feb-15 07:07:58

(Although you should be allowed to limit your jobsearch/availability to suitable hours to fit with your DC, so depending on how you find the JC staff, you might decide it's manageable to carry on through)

Arsenic Wed 04-Feb-15 07:10:30

Some JCs try to say you can't claim JSA with CA, BTW, but it should be allowed as long as you are undertaking to scale back the caring when you find work. I saw one of these argued about before.

Contact a family really might be the people.....

chocnomorechoc Wed 04-Feb-15 07:37:42

Thanks arsenic - that is really helpful. smile

Arsenic Wed 04-Feb-15 07:41:03

Hopefully not too garbled smile

Do doublecheck it all though, it's a bit complex.

chocnomorechoc Wed 04-Feb-15 07:44:09

Will do but it gave me a few pointers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: