Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax return advice - reducing the on account payment

(4 Posts)
Liveinthepresent Sat 31-Jan-15 08:18:11

Can anyone help with this?
DH is on an interim contract and so self employed.
In the early days he wasn't so clued up on how the system worked - so although we have set aside the amount for the retrospective figure - he wants to spread out the on account payments and not have to pay 50% now.
Does anyone know what the criteria are for HMRC accepting this ?
Has anyone else done this successfully?

DrownedGirl Sat 31-Jan-15 08:20:38

letsplayscrabble Mon 02-Feb-15 16:28:16

I'm not sure if you can do this, and if you can then you'd have to pay interest at a rate that will certainly be higher than what he can get from a savings account. Remember that money you earn up to April of a certain year doesn't have to have the tax paid until January of the following year, so you have a while to save it.

Liveinthepresent Tue 10-Feb-15 13:41:50

Thanks for the reply - we spoke to a family friend accountant who said just to offer what we were happy to pay up front and that as long as its a reasonable chunk it will probably not we questioned. There is interest but not enough to worry about compared to the cash flow pressure of paying 50% of the tax that is due next January now.
We have paid the April 13 - 2014bill in full - this is just the on account bit.
Setting it aside so that we will be fully up to date with tax and have minimal Extra tax Billayable Jan 16

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: