Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

EX and his wife are telling CSA lies about income.

(13 Posts)
MouseCatAndDog Fri 30-Jan-15 16:26:49

What can I do, the CSA will not check his tax return?

They fall for what ex and his employer wife tell them. I have sent them loads of information showing things are not as they seem and he has another full time position. They accept the part time job for the wife as his full time job.

The wife doesn't do the attachment of earnings for him either, and the CSA just takes everything they say as truth, as they have the right to be believed. I do not seem to have the right to be believed when I give evidence to the CSA the ex and his wife are telling lies. hmm

He earned a six figure salary and pretends to now earn as teen five figure salary.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Jan-15 16:35:53

If you believe that he is under declaring his income to HMRC and committing tax fraud, that might be another avenue. HMRC are quite tenacious if they think there's deception going on. It's always sickening when a wealthy person would rather lie, cheat and let their own children grow up without financial support than tell the truth and pay their fair share.

MouseCatAndDog Fri 30-Jan-15 16:40:50

I have no clue what he is telling HMRC. The Man has issues. hmm

What would you say to HMRC to get them to look into him? How would that then help the children? Would HMRC inform the CSA?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Jan-15 17:18:54

HMRC has a fraud hot line for anyone wishing to report suspected tax evasion. You say you have lot of information about his income that CSA ignored. If he is investigated by HMRC and it is demonstrated that he is under declaring his income with the intent of personal gain (fraud) then he will be penalised. CSA must have a facility to cross reference the income information with the tax office.

If he is not a straight PAYE employee but reimbursed through dividends or self-employed then part of the 'game' is to declare as little as possible but legally. I don't believe paying tax is a matter of morality but supporting children certainly is.

MouseCatAndDog Fri 30-Jan-15 17:27:57

So legally, they can say they are on a low income and the dividends will not be used by the CSA as income?

What is worse is the wife is well known and her public business is directed at parents, part of the marketing is their family to the public. They don't admit to the first family, her DH not seeing his dc or avoiding properly paying for them. hmm They are gloating on social media, living a very lavish lifestyle.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Jan-15 18:46:16

There are different types of income and they attract different tax treatment. If someone is a sole trader with their own business they will try to organise their accounts so that they offset as many business expenses as possible.... phones, car, utilities.... and 'draw' as little as possible in cash income which is liable for income tax. If they are a company director they may prefer income in the form of shares which are subject only to CGT on selling or dividends which attract a lower tax rate than income tax. Those of us on PAYE don't get the same opportunities to reduce the bill.

A decent person would reduce their taxable income legitimately but still manage to see their kids right.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Jan-15 18:47:27

Gloating on social media sounds like an opportunity to put around some negative PR smile Name a few names....

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Jan-15 18:49:29

Should add.... Ultimately, if your ex doesn't support his children and never makes time to see them, what he gains financially in the short term will be nothing compared to the relationships he loses in the long term. Money can't buy you love.

MouseCatAndDog Fri 30-Jan-15 18:51:16

That is what they are doing then, she is a director, and he was in the past.

So how do I get the children the correct amount?

There will never be any wanting to see the kids right from their Dad, all he is interested in pleasing is himself and those he lives with.

MouseCatAndDog Fri 30-Jan-15 18:53:11

Would that be classed as illegal to name and shame?

Not only has she got a fb page, she has a blog and writes articles for a national magazine.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Jan-15 20:52:43

The worst you can be accused of is libel. However, if you are telling the truth, there would be no case to answer. You'd just have to be very sure of your facts and express yourself in an unemotional, non-sensational way, As for getting the money for your children, that may be something you never achieve if his taxable income has been legitimately and correctly declared.

1Q Sat 31-Jan-15 00:14:14

Mouse you said something in you opening post that struck me....
They accept the part time job for the wife as his full time job

The magic word in your post was as - like as if his full time job is her salary. You may be right.

This is the Achilles Heel, I suspect but more info may help. It seems that he may have placed his earnings into a company of which she is a director and sole shareholder (it is easy to do if you know what to do) and she may be drawing only a nominal income from it, writing other income off against costs, but other ways are possible to supress their earnings.

I do not mind love failing as long as people are complete with each other. That is life. (I just deleted the rest of my draft paragraph...haha too deep).

But to cheat financially is in my mind irrevocably unforgivable. Money doesn't matter in the bigger stuff, but when you have a family and if you have children and money then not meeting financial obligations is a cruel theft or failure of human responsibility, beyond the emotional running away. Because then it is really the small stuff.....eggs, laundered pants, petrol to school, toothpaste, cheese, trips* that they have to cope with when the weak partner has abandoned the family for their selfish needs. Which is always how it is, selfish in any analysis.

A man always looks after his family, wife, partner, children. Always they come first, it is nature. Really, it is inherent in us.

But if he cheats and doesn't look after his financial obligations, then he (and OW) probably have to answer in different ways. To HMRC, CSA, Family Law Courts, Chancery Division (OW perhaps....if she control the business). And so, why not.

Happy for you to PM me, if you like. May not be able to solve it all though. But I know what goes on.

Always Cogito is able to show amazing experiences and skills.... Thank you......smile

*And for any man or woman who has abandoned their financial obligations to their SAHM or SAHD or family - well just paying for those items, leave alone the mortgage and council tax and electricity and all the rest...are very real. Haha...that glass of wine with OW or OM in Paris, Polperro or Pathos has never felt so good...?!?

MouseCatAndDog Sat 31-Jan-15 16:30:28

I will pm you thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: