Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

unexpected payments on paypal account

(5 Posts)
supersop60 Thu 29-Jan-15 17:40:22

I had a shock yesterday when my Paypal a/c showed £300 of payments made to GooglePlay. After a morning's investigating I realised it was my son playing FiFa 15 on his tablet buying players/whatever. Although I set up the game and linked to paypal to pay for it, I am sure I set the settings to ask for permission for any other payments. My son (10) is insistent that he was never asked for permission to make a payment - I had told him to ask me if any messages like that came up.
Does anyone know what might have gone wrong, and if I can get my money back?

dementedpixie Fri 30-Jan-15 13:37:41

this tells you how to password protect purchases on the play store:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1626831?hl=en - you want to click on the 'on your mobile device' option

Gfplux Fri 30-Jan-15 20:38:10

First try to make a test purchase within the game. You don't actually have to Finnish the transaction. However if it lets you get as far as paying you will know you did not password protect it.
You will just have to do it now and pay the bill.

jayseyC66 Fri 06-Feb-15 12:35:53

Not sure about Google play but I got a refund from Apple when my son cleared my bank of over 3000 on clash of clans on his iPad !!! Amazing how 3 grand can be spent in a day !!! Really would any sane person spend multiple £69 on bags of gems !!! I had a total break down for 5 weeks til I finally got it back ! Apple were amazing , my bank was appalling !!!
Worth contacting Google play to see if they can help !
All links now deleted to my account now from iPad !

InfinitySeven Fri 06-Feb-15 12:38:09

Google will likely refund you, if you are very nice about it.

You do need to set up parental controls, though. As much as your son may have intended to tell you that he had a pop-up, it will be pretty tempting to not mention it and get new players, especially as he probably doesn't fully understand that it's costing you money.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: