Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

advice on benefits and inheritance

(3 Posts)
Linda123 Thu 29-Jan-15 11:07:45

I need advice on the subject. We parents both are on Esa benefit and have been struggling to find a job. we got my own house and kids. My partner got another house by his dad inheritance recently.
If we will move to the second house and will rent first house, will our benefit be stopped? rent income will be more than £104 a week. the money will be for my partner, will my benefit still be stopped or reduced?

I would like to make sure and to do right thing honestly.

sleepingtapes Thu 29-Jan-15 11:17:06

If you're on contributions based ESA the inheritance won't make any difference as it's not means-tested. I have a rental property and get contributions ESA and DWP didn't want to know.

If it is income-based ESA then it would affect benefits, and your partner's income would still affect your benefit as it should be a joint claim.

JaneEllis10 Thu 29-Jan-15 12:04:09

sleepingtapes, it is income-based ESA and joint claim for me! When having property rental, my partner benefit will be stopped, my benefit too, right? will we have to pay council tax for both properties?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now