Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Surviving until benefits kick in?

(5 Posts)
lagirafe Wed 28-Jan-15 20:06:39

I have recently escaped from a violent husband with my 3 young children (under 7).

We are living in a small refuge and I'm so happy we are safe you would not believe.

I have made a claim for Income Support and Housing Benefit already and I have requested Tax Credit forms (not yet arrived).
I have phoned child benefit and they said they'd call me back if they needed any more info ( no call yet...)

I have used the Foodbank once already (arrived Friday) as we arrived with very little money as we had to run away. I can go twice more then that's it. I also have to bring the food back to the refuge by taxi (£5) as I can't manage it with 3 children / buggy / pregnant.

I have a meeting with a school on Friday so hopefully eldest can start on Monday but I have to get him some shoes (refuge have given the rest of the uniform to me). Have tried charity shops but nothing.

I can't claim a budgeting loan because I haven't been on benefits for over 26 weeks.

Am I missing something / anything?! Is there any short term help for women escaping from DV?

I feel bad asking the refuge staff as they have been amazing so far they have given us clothes, food, toiletries, nappies, wipes you name it. But I am running out of a lot of stuff now and I don't want to keep asking them as I know their supplies are limited and there are other families in need.

Grateful for any advice.

Higheredserf Wed 28-Jan-15 20:11:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Turquoisetamborine Sun 01-Feb-15 18:11:44

You can apply to the benefit centre processing your IS claim for a short term benefit advance. Just ring and ask.

SoonToBeSix Tue 03-Feb-15 06:34:41

Your local council might be able to give you a crisis payment. Try your local one stop shop.

Jackieharris Tue 03-Feb-15 06:46:16

There used to be community care grants of £500 for this situation but the current government scrapped them.

I think some councils have local schemes.

You should get the school uniform grant once your benefits come through.

Imp the school should be flexible with their show policy given your circumstances. Can the refuge write to them on your behalf?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: