Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Rent sent to landlord 2 weeks early by mistake..

(13 Posts)
Diabolomenthe Wed 28-Jan-15 08:32:22

Due to a cock up with the bank. They created a so without our authorisation. Earlier in the month we had a bit a money problem, we cancelled the original so but we still managed to pay the rent on time.

We called the bank but they said they can't help us, we need to ask our rent back from the landlady...we can do that, can we !? She is not really nice and not very reasonable. We'll be in deep problem if she doesnt give it back to us. What is the next step if she doesn't give it back to us ?

NameChangerOrdinaire Wed 28-Jan-15 08:37:27

Sorry that this has happened. Given that it's 'only' two weeks early it might be easier to look at other options. What are the other things you need the money for and can you possibly contact those people to see if they can be paid late?

If it's for food you might even need to contact the food bank.

I'm just trying to think of the most effective way to solve the problem, as the landlord doesn't sound like she's going to cooperate.

PuggyMum Wed 28-Jan-15 08:38:19

If she won't give it back to you there's probably not much you can do as it would fall due in 2 weeks anyway.
Just ask her and explain the bank made an error but you need the money back.

PuggyMum Wed 28-Jan-15 08:40:10

Sorry mine didn't sound as helpful as namechanger! I was answering re just the rent but yes if you can hold off on other things.

PuggyMum Wed 28-Jan-15 08:42:56

I would also complain to the bank and see of they will offer a payment for distress and inconvenience. This was their error. I work in a bank and if this came to our team we'd offer a d&i payment.

If you complain in writing and set out how this has affected you and you are looking for some recompense they should take this seriously. You can refer to the ombudsman if they don't resolve.

Optimist1 Wed 28-Jan-15 08:43:56

Since the bank caused this problem would they authorise a loan for the two week period?

Diabolomenthe Wed 28-Jan-15 08:48:06

The bank doesn't want to hear about it...I want my money back, she has no right to keep it. It 2000 pounds we are talking about and loads of direct debit coming out on the 1rst, I don't get all my salary on the 1rst hence why we can't pay the rent that early. Thank you for your advices !!

FamilyAdventure Wed 28-Jan-15 09:08:49

As the money is due to the LL (although not yet) there's not a lot to be done TBH. The standard procedure would be for the bank to ask for the money back but realistically, that's not going to happen before the money's due anyway.

However, if it was a bank error, I'd expect them to allow all your DD payments to go through and refund any charges you incur for being OD.

PatriciaHolm Wed 28-Jan-15 13:20:30

What have the bank said about how the SO was sent without your authorisation?

Presumably, you thought you had cancelled it going forward,but the bank only cancelled one month and have paid this month's at the normal time -is that right? Or is this a brand new SO? I'm not sure I understand what has happened to be honest.

I suspect you stand zero chance of getting it back from the Landlord, as it's due to her anyway - its just arrived a little early. You can try, but realistically by the time she's faffed around arguing about it the 1st will be here anyway. Your better bet is to go back to the bank with a clear timeline of what has happened and how it's their responsibility, and request that bank charges etc are written off for those 2 weeks.

Diabolomenthe Wed 28-Jan-15 22:04:47

We canceled the so but it went ahead anyway..and the landlady is not picking up the phone :-(

Diabolomenthe Wed 28-Jan-15 22:05:51

It's due on the 12th not the 1rst, I wouldn't ask for just 3 days early. We'd paid her twice by accident.

mrscumberbatch Wed 28-Jan-15 22:09:12

Get the bank to do an indemnity claim.

KindleFancy Thu 29-Jan-15 13:31:51

An indemnity claim is only for DD's.

What sort of cock up op?

Did the bank actually pay it in error? If so they are obliged to compensate you, and they will then use their own recovery team to try to get the money back from the payee.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: