Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help with self assessment

(8 Posts)
OpposableThumbs1 Mon 26-Jan-15 20:22:00

DH has left doing his self assessment until the last minute and now we don't understand the final amount it says he owes. Is there anyone that can advise?

He is only having to do it because he is between the cut off points for child benefit, for simple maths lets say he is on £55K. As I understand it, as he is half way between the get all and get nothing amounts then he should have to return half of the child benefit we received. The only parts of the self assessment he has had to fill in are related to his salary (figures taken from P60) and the child benefit. We have got to the end and it says he owes almost double what we were paid in child benefit.

How can that be so?

Only thing I can think of is that his PAYE code is all wrong but that would seem odd.

Any help gratefully received.

Floppityflop Mon 26-Jan-15 20:34:01

What PAYE code was applied over the tax year. It could be an explanation but it's hard to tell. Is that the only income? No bank interest or anything?

Floppityflop Mon 26-Jan-15 20:35:45

Or possibly better q how much salary and how much PAYE was deducted? Look at the p60. Must dash hope someone else can help!

Floppityflop Mon 26-Jan-15 20:38:17

Also do his PAYE coding notices make sense? Really must dash maybe back later!

egnahc Mon 26-Jan-15 20:43:38

This is the 2nd year to repay. Did he repay last year?

DadDadDad Mon 26-Jan-15 23:23:25

Doesn't the online calculation sets out how the tax is calculated and then set against that what has already been paid via PAYE, so have you looked at that calculation, and are you willing to set that out here?

DadDadDad Mon 26-Jan-15 23:29:29

Just been online to my account and there is a "view and print your full calculation" link, which shows my total income, the application of personal allowance, tax at 20% and 40% rates, and deducts tax already paid and adds the Higher Income Child Benefit Charge.

OpposableThumbs1 Tue 27-Jan-15 20:55:35

Thank you all for your ideas, sorry I didn't come back last night, I fell asleep ridiculously early.

He did repay last year but had only been in the job for three weeks so it was a grand total of £29.

My suspicion is that his company have cocked up his PAYE.

Scrap that, I think I've found it. It's something to do with his pension payments. Just got to find the right bit of the form to change it now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: