Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does Open Uni study affect Housing Benefit?

(3 Posts)
ScouseBird8364 Wed 21-Jan-15 16:56:30

Hi smile

Does anybody know whether a claim for housing benefit would be rejected or reduced, on the basis of being a P/T OU student?

I am currently on my second module and in the process of losing our home via mortgage repossession - we are making a claim for HB for a new property but the form asks the question re being a student?

Are there any other OU students who have or have not been affected please? smile

justjuanmorebeer Wed 21-Jan-15 23:44:57

As far as I know it should make no difference at all. How many credits are you doing? If 60 it affects nothing really if you double up to 120 per year many councils will accept this as adequate for a council tax exemption. Mine did.

Becca19962014 Fri 23-Jan-15 20:39:46

Phone and ask your council, it's one of those things that can vary.

Part time student can vary between councils as can if they will allow you to have housing benefit. 60 or more credits a year and my council expects students to apply for student loan to pay rent NOT housing benefit.

Hopefully it won't be a problem but you need to ask.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: