Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Council tax help

(5 Posts)
Pcs123 Tue 20-Jan-15 08:43:37

I currently earn £425 per month (there are no hours at work, it's a joke) I get tax credits of 138£ per week and I get £90 every two weeks towards my rent which is £450,
I was wondering if anyone knew if I should pay council tax? I do pay it at a singles person which is £77 but I'm not sure if I should as I'm always skint, I never spend money on myself
I've seen some comments saying they work similar hours to me and don't pay it
Please can anyone help

TalkinPeace Tue 20-Jan-15 12:55:48

you need to look at your own council's website as they do not all apply things in the same way

annielostit Tue 20-Jan-15 12:59:25

You should ring your council and ask if your at the right discount. I paid single allowance before I was married but I've never heard of any exception.

sockmatcher Tue 20-Jan-15 13:03:08

Normally if you are getting Housing benefit you claim council tax benefit too? If your income has gone down recently they should invite you to reclaim council tax benefit if you previously weren't entitled due to income.

I would advise you to ring local council TODAY and check this and also check they are using correct monthly income for your housing benefit.

sockmatcher Tue 20-Jan-15 13:04:15

I suspect you mean the 25% off as only adult living in property which is not the same as council tax benefit

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: