Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can you claim HB for the rent part of SO houses?

(3 Posts)
KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Fri 16-Jan-15 16:38:28

We need to leave current house due to money troubles but would like to keep some kind of foot on the property market rather than go totally to rent. There's a SO house that we're interested in, owned by a housing association. The question is, could we claim housing benefit for the portion rented from the HA?

Everythinghappensforareason1 Fri 16-Jan-15 21:34:27

Watching with interest as I am wanting to do the same in 12 months. From what I have read before I believe you can claim HB for the rent part. But not 100% sure.

Rockchick1984 Sat 17-Jan-15 00:18:06

Yes, if you are eligible for housing benefit you can claim it towards the rented portion of shared ownership.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: