Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Self Employed: Class 2 NI contributions -missed payment - maternity allowance

(7 Posts)
dabchick88 Wed 14-Jan-15 20:45:11

Hi, I was hoping someone on here might be able to help clear things up for me. I am self employed and have accidentally missed one of my class 2 NI contributions. I tried to pay it but it apparently it has now been passed to the tax office. I then called them and tried to pay but they said i couldn't and it would get sorted out when i fill in a self assessment at the end of the tax yr.
However I am worried that as NI have this down as a missed payment and even if i can pay it a 'late payment' that it will affect me claiming maternity allowance. I am not pregnant yet but would like to be within the next yr. If i keep paying my contributions from now on will I be ok? How far back do they check? Obviously if i didn't have a baby until this time next yr I would have a full year of 'on time' payments so I wondered if this might be enough.
Having been so good at paying normally I am loathed to believe that my silly mistake of missing 1 payment might prevent me claiming such an important benefit.
Any help or reassurance much appreciated.

OddBoots Wed 14-Jan-15 20:53:23

As far as I remember you have to have paid for 26 of the 66 weeks leading up to the due date, they don't have to be consecutive so a missed payment shouldn't make any difference.

Maybe use their calculator and see if it makes a difference.

TalkinPeace Thu 15-Jan-15 22:10:45

Class 2 does not go on your tax return. They are talking bilge.
Just pay it online

dabchick88 Fri 16-Jan-15 21:56:22

How do i pay it online TalkinPeace? when i called the NI line they said the payment was not available to pay as it was too late and the debt had been passed on to tax office debt management. Is this nonsense?

TalkinPeace Fri 16-Jan-15 22:30:45

Yup, its utter hogwash.
https://www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance/bank-details

dabchick88 Fri 16-Jan-15 23:12:17

Great so as long as I use the ref code on my original letter it should work, even though it's past the payment deadline?

TalkinPeace Fri 16-Jan-15 23:16:36

they won't like it but there is nothing they can do
get it paid and be done with the little dears

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: