Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Wise people of MN what should I do...

(4 Posts)
itchychin Sun 11-Jan-15 16:31:44

So, split with XH 5 years ago and been renting ever since. I have savings of 70k ish. I own no property. With my salary and child support and tax credits I have enough to get by as long as I'm careful and have been saving each year (due in part to some of my split settlement being paid over the last 5 years which has now completed).

I don't have a court order for the child support (it is 12%) we are quite amicable. I have some tax credits (1 dd in primary school). My wages aren't huge and I expect a mortgage would be cheaper than my rent however I'm pretty sure I couldn't get one (no court order, some income is tax credits).

It occurred to me perhaps I could buy far far away (am in home counties) and maybe I would be able to get a small mortgage. Or buy in a cheaper closer area.

Should I see a financial adviser? I'm trying to find a better paid part time job (school hours) but they are rare. I live in a lovely town and don't really want to move. I worry about renting forever.

It's like there's a heavy weight of unspecific worry I carry around and I don't really know how to address it. If you've read all that thank you!! Any wise words gratefully accepted.

PennyJennyPie Sun 11-Jan-15 16:37:03

Why don't you check with a mortgage advisor if you can get a mortgage? At least then you know better what your options are.

annielostit Sun 11-Jan-15 17:03:05

Why worry about renting forever. Nobody owned houses when I was little it was all council.
Can you afford to live as you do with a small mortgage and use up you savings? Would you be happy without the savings?
I had a house when I was a single parent now married and it wasn't easy, many work mates rented but were better off has they got more social financial support.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 11-Jan-15 20:59:08

I think property is not only an intelligent investment but a good way to increase your sense of security. Nice to have something to pass onto kids, for example. I'd have a chat with your regular bank first just to give you an idea of how much you could borrow, and a rough monthly cost. That will set your parameters for your house search. When you find a suitable property, then talk to an independent mortgage broker and see if they can find something more specific and a better deal.

Good luck with your fresh start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now