Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Benefit advice

(15 Posts)
CandODad Sat 10-Jan-15 21:35:18


I am looking for a guiding hand. I have come out of employment to be able to gain experience for a PGCE, along with this I am registered with an agency to get some paid work, till now I have had a couple of days a week but of course this if not going to be certain.

Firstly how would I go about registering as unemployed as the agency work is not definite every week?

Additionally with tax credits etc if I tell them the work will consistently provide 16 hours a week or more and it does not I will of course get hit with an overpayment where as if I tell them I am without income and declare only my DW's income this again would cause issues when we give the correct figures at the end of the year.

Does anyone have any experience/guidance they could help me with?

Rockchick1984 Sat 10-Jan-15 22:44:47

How many hours does your DW work, and what's her salary? How many children do you have and are you paying registered childcare for them? Are you actively seeking employment or just aiming to do temp work through the agency?

CandODad Sun 11-Jan-15 04:14:43

My wife works 37 hours a week earning £20,000 a year. We have two children and pay between £50 and £150 per week depending on me working or not.

I am seeking employment although in the ideal world it has to be the right job for me to progress into teaching simce that's the whole point of my career change (although of course the DWP wouldn't accept me being overtly picky in my job hunt)

SoonToBeSix Sun 11-Jan-15 05:18:30

You won't qualify for job seekers for six months if you left your job voluntarily.

SoonToBeSix Sun 11-Jan-15 05:19:34

You also won't get any childcare help from tax credits if you aren't working.

vinegarandbrownpaper Sun 11-Jan-15 05:24:33

if you are employed but have no present work -eg zero hours or agency, you can get JSA on weeks with no work yet another government subsidy for bad employers Just sign on. Partners income might be a consideration.
Not sure about tax credits etc

justjuanmorebeer Sun 11-Jan-15 16:34:04

Are you signed on with a supply agency as a cover supervisor?

If so I would really advise making a good impression at any schools you get to and try and get them to employ you part time on a contract. It works out cheaper for them to do this than day to day agency staff as I am sure you know.

Your other option is to look for teaching assistant work. Contact school SENCOs directly if there are no adverts in your area. Male TAs are really in demand too so you might be lucky.

Are you planning to apply for the PGCE this month or wait another year?

Loletta Sun 11-Jan-15 22:24:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rockchick1984 Sun 11-Jan-15 22:33:21

Just to amend one thing Loletta has said - if you work under 16 hours per week then you can't claim any help towards childcare costs so you do need to both be working above that threshold to claim that element. Aside from that she is correct - if your wife works 30+ hours per week then you meet the criteria for tax credits.

Loletta Sun 11-Jan-15 22:39:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CandODad Sun 11-Jan-15 22:59:44


I am just waiting for my second referee to complete their section and then I am applying this year. I am currently registered with the an agency for both cover TA and cover supervisor work. As yet I have not met the same coordinator twice at the schools I have visited as this seems to always be in flux but try and make a positive impression on everyone I have met.

lol lets/rockchick thanks for you help. Do you know if I a, expected to just predict if I will exceed 16 hours or not?

I would qualify for job seekers in some form as it was the end of a contract rather than me leaving my position.

justjuanmorebeer Sun 11-Jan-15 23:21:53

Sounds good. If you are applying now have you already got some school experience to put on there?

What key stage and subject are you wanting to do?

SoonToBeSix Sun 11-Jan-15 23:26:28

You will actually have to work at least 16 hours each week to qualify for childcare.

CandODad Mon 12-Jan-15 04:01:16

Since September I have spent two days a week helping out in a year six class, between May - July last year I spent time with years 2 and 5.

I am looking to focus on KS2 since I feel I have a better connection with older children and some of the one on one work I have been doing helping with maths and English comprehension has proven fruitful.

I'm have also been on PTA for three years and a Governor for two although I know this does not count as much as working with children in curriculum time.

justjuanmorebeer Mon 12-Jan-15 11:18:48

Sounds to me you have enough experience to be accepted onto the course smile good luck with it.

In terms of from now until Sept I'd look for a role in one school whether that is TA or CS. As others have said you'd need to be above 16 hours to qualify for Child tax credits.
So three school days minimum.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: