Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

income support after being self employed

(4 Posts)
thehurty Fri 09-Jan-15 19:38:36

I have just split with my husband I was self-employed until July 2014. I never made much money only a few hundred pounds a year!!! I have put in a claim for income support but they are asking for copies of profit and loss account, trading account and balance sheet.

My question is what are these things, I kept records of my in goings and outgoings and did my tax returns, I also had a business bank account for 18months but I'm still not sure what they want.

They also want company registration forms??? is that just a letter from the tax office saying I registered the business?

thanks for any help

ArsenicFaceCream Sat 10-Jan-15 09:05:00

Company registration forms are something you would have if you registered as a limited company (Ltd.) with Companies House. But it sounds as though you were possibly a sole trader? (You trading as yourself, maybe with a 't/a' business name but no separate legal entity for the business.)

As for the a/cs - send them copies of what you have, with a note on the form or a cover letter saying that business was low turnover/profits and you kept very simple book-keeping accounts which you are attaching.

It should be ok.

thehurty Sat 10-Jan-15 13:38:25

Thank you so much for your reply. That is exactly what I was thinking of doing.

ArsenicFaceCream Sat 10-Jan-15 14:42:02


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: