Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What are our options re housing?

(28 Posts)
mindifidont Fri 09-Jan-15 19:15:16

So we've just been told our landlord wants to sell the house we've been in for the last 3.5 years.

I'm now really worried about finding somewhere else. We haven't got enough money for a deposit on a new property and unfortunately haven't got a great credit history.

Although we haven't got any CCJ's, we've struggled financially the last year and have fallen behind with payments on a couple of credit cards. Really stupid, I know, but what's done is done.

We might just about get a new deposit together, but will a new landlord have is with the crap credit history?

We are both working full time and have always paid our rent in full on time.

I'm also wondering about getting a council tenancy. We've been on the waiting list for six years but are in band D (lowest priority).

Will we get a higher priority as we're told to leave this property with possibly nowhere else to go or is this (bad credit and no deposit) deemed as being self-inflicted and not a reason good enough for them to help house us?

mindifidont Fri 09-Jan-15 19:16:16

I should add that we have got two DC's.

webjunkie Fri 09-Jan-15 19:19:36

I really think this might put you in a good position for social housing. When wewere selling our rental property our tenants were delighted because apparently they were made a priority for a housing association house. I don't know the ins and outs but they moved straight from our house into a new HA house.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Fri 09-Jan-15 19:21:46

How it works is this. Your landlord has to give you 2 months notice in writing. If you go to the council, they will tell you to stay where you are, it's doubtful that they will house you until you've been evicted, sadly, which can take months. They will tell you to stay where you are and not move out until your landlord has taken you to court for possession and the bailiffs are changing the locks, and will more than likely place you in emergency accommodation once you have been evicted. You need to go to the CAB and seek advice. Are you able to save for a deposit in the mean time (please don't stop paying your rent!)? What about your current deposit, you should be getting that back. What about a private landlord? They often don't do credit checks.

mindifidont Fri 09-Jan-15 19:27:29

We really don't want to cause any nuisance so won't want to wait to get evicted.

Hopefully it will take some time for our landlord to sell the property which will give us time to save. They always do credit checks though! At least around here.

We have got a deposit with the agency for this place but we won't get it back until we've left the property and for any new property they would need the deposit before we move in.

I realise that they're not going to house us immediately, but I'm hoping they might bump us up in priority.

mindifidont Fri 09-Jan-15 19:28:19

I hope you're right webjunkie.

mindifidont Fri 09-Jan-15 19:31:10

And how can the council tell us to stay put even if we get asked to leave?

We would have to barricade ourselves in the house unable to go to work or take children to school.

We'd lose our jobs if we don't show up which would hardly make the situation any better?

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Fri 09-Jan-15 19:37:50

There isn't enough properties to meet demand so they tell people to stay. You can't lock yourselves in though, the bailiffs will have a high court writ to give them access to the house.

Have you contacted Shelter? There are schemes which help with deposits but you do need proper advice on this. Not everyone can walk into the council with a letter and get housed right away, it doesn't work like that.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Fri 09-Jan-15 19:39:37 try here or go and see the CAB.

Screenclean Fri 09-Jan-15 19:41:50

Shelter were really helpful when my LL was selling. I thought it was a charity for street sleepers but I was wrong [and a snob] shock. Good luck!

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Fri 09-Jan-15 19:43:40

I've referred lots of people to them, Screenclean, they really know their stuff.

ArsenicFaceCream Fri 09-Jan-15 19:45:34

Landlords (unless they are shady LLs doing shady things) can only see Public information.

That means Electoral roll data, bankruptcies, IVAs, CCJs and other court info.

They CANNOT see consumer credit payment history or defaults.

Naturally, Landlords and Letting agencies are keen to keep this quiet.

If the only negative data you have with CRAs is late/missed credit card payments or similar, you have nothing to worry about.

expatinscotland Fri 09-Jan-15 19:46:32

It really depends on the council. I'd contact your council's homelessness office and find out.

mindifidont Fri 09-Jan-15 19:51:18

Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it.

Arsenic, yes all we have is late payments and possibly a default. No CCJ's, bankruptcies etc. I hope you're right, if so we might not be in trouble after all.

mindifidont Fri 09-Jan-15 19:52:17

I will phone the housing association and shelter on Monday.

We only found out this afternoon that they are putting the house on the market.

Screenclean Fri 09-Jan-15 20:00:22

Do you think your current LL has other properties that might suit you? Would they give you a good reference?

mindifidont Fri 09-Jan-15 20:03:09

Our landlord has not but we are renting through an agency who knows we're good tenants and always pay on time.

I wonder if there would be any chance of us moving into a new property with them and they keep he deposit that's already with them?

JourneyToThePlacentaOfTheEarth Fri 09-Jan-15 20:18:49

Hi op. We've been where you are except with defaults. I'd like to reinforce what arsenic said, only lenders can see your credit info. Public information such as ccj's IVAs and bankruptcy is available to anyone to see so please don't worry about being refused a house because of missed payments.

Re council homes, the process outlined above by pp is right but how long you will have to stay in temporary accommodation is anyone's guess. I think the council will push you towards finding a private landlord

BirdhouseInYourSoul Fri 09-Jan-15 20:19:10

Another recommendation for shelter.

We were in the same position pretty much and our council would not consider housing us until the Landlord went to court for a possession order. They pretty much told us to go away and only come back once the order expired.

I was told (afterwards) it is their policy to be as closed as possible to you in the hope that it'll scare you into helping yourself. This is just my Local Authority though and some others do seem a bit more helpful.

You could approach your council and ask if they have a deposit scheme. They may also have a list of private landlords who are more willing to house HB or bad credit tenants.

Good luck. Its the hardest thing we had to do. Not knowing where we would be housed until the day we were evicted. We ended up in emergency housing for 6 weeks and are now in temporary housing - 2 years down and no where near being housed yet. But we are lucky and secure and that's what counts really.

JourneyToThePlacentaOfTheEarth Fri 09-Jan-15 20:21:19

Check with the council op whether they give grants or loans to use as deposit on rental properties. I've heard that they do and you can then pay it back when you get your current deposit returned

ArsenicFaceCream Fri 09-Jan-15 20:22:17

Arsenic, yes all we have is late payments and possibly a default. No CCJ's, bankruptcies etc. I hope you're right, if so we might not be in trouble after all.

Give me a minute and i'll dig out a link.

ArsenicFaceCream Fri 09-Jan-15 20:32:49

The information landlords and agents can see from your credit report is limited to publicly available records, including court judgments and insolvency records. They cannot see information about your credit commitments, such as credit cards, loans and mobile phone contracts

mindifidont Fri 09-Jan-15 20:39:48

Thank you sooooo much Arsenic, and everyone else who've given advice on this.

I was in tears an hour ago but this thread has made me feel a lot better. Mumsnet is amazing!

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Fri 09-Jan-15 20:51:38

You don't have to barricade yourself in - you cannot be forced to leave without a court order.
Frankly, the system stinks but it is what it is, so in your shoes I would advise staying in the house after the notice period expires (continue to pay the rent) and wait to be served with eviction papers, still don't leave until you are taken to court and given an eviction date. Then move all your stuff out and store it somewhere, and the council will house you.
Assuming you don't have well paid jobs and £££ saved, you will be placed in long term temporary accommodation (private rental) and the council will guarantee your deposit. You may not go up a band unfortunately but then again you may.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Fri 09-Jan-15 20:59:00

If you rent from an agency you could ask if they have any other properties available, this is probably your best bet and the route of least stress.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: