Advanced search

First baby and tax credit advice needed!

(8 Posts)
Kittycat59 Thu 08-Jan-15 19:34:59

Hi all,

I am a soon to be first time single mum, little one is due March and I need a bit of advice on applying for tax credits.

I have received the form from HMRC to apply but do I wait until the baby is born before I fill it in and return it (this may be after 5 April if the baby is late). I know that way I would apply for both working tax credit and child tax credit but as the form is for 2014/15 would it be better to send it in now and apply only for working tax credit and then ring them to let them know about the baby once it born and get them to reassess for child tax credit?? I know both my 2013/14 and 2014/15 income will be too high to be eligible for anything but as soon as Smp starts my earns will plummet to the standard smp amount.

I am late 30's and have worked full time all my life so have never claimed for anything before but as I live alone with no other household income once I'm on maternity leave (in a 6 weeks time) I want to be able to get this sorted as quickly as I can. I did speak to the tax office but got 2 different answers from 2 people on the helpline, so not sure what to do.

Has anyone been through this that can shed any light on the best way to do it. Sorry this is so long but it has me baffled!

nihatsgirl Thu 08-Jan-15 21:18:33

Apply now and call once baby arrives and new tax year to advise about changed circumstances. It takes up to 6 weeks for them to process a new claim I am told and 2 weeks to process changed circumstances.

Kittycat59 Fri 09-Jan-15 06:46:26

Thanks nihatsgirl, that's what I thought. The first person I spoke to at HMRC suggested that but then when I ordered the form the girl said I had to wait til baby was here. Will get it sorted and keep my fingers crossed they process it all in time.

carrielou2007 Fri 09-Jan-15 12:38:26

I believe you can claim working tax credit on a low income but the child tax credit (sorry may not be right term!) cannot be claimed until you have the baby's birth certificate.

madwomanacrosstheroad Fri 09-Jan-15 12:49:45

Dont think you would be entitled prior to birth as qualifying condition is entitlement to child benefit. As a woman in your 30s with no disabilities working full time you do not qualify for working tax credit. Also you need to know baby's date of birth because whether or not this tax years or last tax years annual income is taken into account depends on whether dob is before or after 5. April

ArsenicFaceCream Sat 10-Jan-15 08:20:21

nihat's right. Claim now; Accept the verdict that you have a nil entitlement; Phone them to give them your 'change of circumstances' when the baby arrives. They will recalcuate at that point.

yellowdaisies Sat 10-Jan-15 08:25:36

I don't think that will work. If your income is too high to qualify for WTC I don't think you'll end up with an open WTC claim. You'll just be rejected so have to apply again from scratch once your baby is born.

ArsenicFaceCream Sat 10-Jan-15 08:59:41

It's the system yellow

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: