Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity leave for the self employed

(4 Posts)
hagred Tue 06-Jan-15 18:26:01

I am self employed, set up as a sole trader. I am a consultant, mostly working from home. I charge an hourly rate to a range of clients for my services.

I am now 3 months pregnant.

I understand that I can claim SMA, however I am curious to know if anyone can advise on the 'keeping in touch' days.

These will be invaluable to me for maintaining relationships with my clients, but I cannot find anything that can define how long a day is.
How are 'keeping in touch' days monitored for the self employed?
Could I could 10 hours of work as 1 day?
Does anyone have any experience like this?

Rockchick1984 Tue 06-Jan-15 23:24:58

It's literally 10 "days", hours aren't specified. If you did one hour it would count as one day, if you did 23 hours it would count as one day smile

Spindelina Wed 07-Jan-15 13:30:48

IME, they aren't monitored. If you kept records of which days you worked and on what, I reckon that would be fine in case you did become the lucky one to be audited.

hagred Wed 07-Jan-15 22:03:14

Awesome, thanks guys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now