Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Please can someone talk me through claiming tax back on my Union Subscription Fees?

(6 Posts)
cupofteaplease Tue 06-Jan-15 11:13:56

I remember being sent an email a while ago about claiming tax back on the fees I have paid over the years to the NUT.
Can anyone talk me through how this is done please?
Thank you

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 06-Jan-15 18:50:57

I'd suggest you contact HMRC directly, explain you'd like to claim back tax, ask which form you need and what supporting documents should be returned with it

tintingirl Tue 06-Jan-15 19:39:50

You don't need a form. Your union will have a page on their website with a template letter and details of how to claim. One letter, quick and easy and a cheque will appear in a couple of weeks. Do not use a 3rd party company - no need! grin

cupofteaplease Tue 06-Jan-15 21:27:01

Brilliant, thanks both of you smile
I'm currently on maternity leave, so any supporting documents may be in school... But I'll take a look tomorrow!

cupofteaplease Tue 06-Jan-15 21:35:44

Hmm, I've just had a look on the NUT website, and the only relevant thing I can find is details for a personal taxation service, but you only receive 61p out of any £1 owed... I can't find any other mention of it.

BumWad Sat 10-Jan-15 21:32:26

Tell HMRC. They will add the amount to your tax free allowance. You may also be due a small refund for past payments.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: