Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Capquest are texting my Dad!!

(8 Posts)
Paperblank Mon 05-Jan-15 18:24:56

I am so ashamed sad

I am in debt but paying back every penny. I don't know how I've missed this one off my list but I have and now they have texted my dad asking for me to call them.

My Dad is furious that he's been contacted (as am I) and massively pissed off with me (just as we'd got back on a fairly good footing to make it worse).

I don't want to ring them because I can't face the barrage of calls I'll get but I'll have to, I just DO NOT want them texting my family again. FFS are they "allowed" to do that?

I am on the electoral roll so I'm "findable" and contactable. I open all my post and I haven't had anything from them. I've ordered my Credit Reports and there is a very old loan with them which defaulted in 2009.

I'm furious with myself and massively humiliated that my Dad knew about this before I did.

How do I handle this?

Rockchick1984 Mon 05-Jan-15 19:38:05

Does your dad have an old phone number of yours? They basically try to contact you on any details they have available, if you ring them and explain that it's no longer your number then they will delete it as a method of contact smile

Paperblank Mon 05-Jan-15 20:16:13

Thanks for replying. He's had the same number for ever. I've no idea how they got hold of his number.

Having read a bit about them this afternoon they are not a pleasant company to deal with.

LIZS Mon 05-Jan-15 20:19:39

Presumably he has the same surname and they were chancing tracing you through him through the likes of 192.com. Can you afford to pay them off? Might be worth talking to Stepchange for advice as to how to negotiate.

justanuvaday Tue 06-Jan-15 13:16:24

Capquest were very recently acquired by a company called Arrow, this means they're now working the accounts Arrow formerly had other agencies working (like Rockwell or Fenton Cooper). Theres a real possibility that that account you're being contacted about is something you're already paying off, Capquest could well just be contacting you to let you know they're taking over the account now.
Don't forget there are free organisations who can give you financial advice and most of all don't be ashamed. Re-building your credit takes more determination and courage than building it initially, you should be proud of yourself for facing your challenges head on.

VodkaJelly Fri 09-Jan-15 17:59:03

When did you last make a payment on this account?

Paperblank Fri 09-Jan-15 18:26:25

I defaulted on it in 2009, so no payment on the account since then. Obviously it is showing up on my credit report which I did before I posted

I hadn't seen my report for a couple of years prior to now so I just missed it off my original list of debtors. I don't dispute it because I do remember what it was for but I would certainly have dealt with it the first time they contacted me - Other than these texts last week I've had nothing!

VodkaJelly Fri 09-Jan-15 22:48:35

If you have made no payment on the account for 6 years (so the month you defaulted means that 2015 is 6 years), the debt is unenforceable in court due to it being out of time. The debt cannot legally be chased via the courts, and as it is 6 years this year that would explain the sudden urgency to contact you.

Of course if you want to pay the debt you need to contact them and give a payment plan proposal.

If you do decide to go down the 6 year limitations act then you need to send a letter to them (you can find a template on the Consumer Action Group website) saying that it is 6 years and legally unenforceable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now