Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Trying to understand how Tax Credits will work for me - newly single parent.

(3 Posts)
MeAndYouVsTheWorld Sat 03-Jan-15 17:38:18

I have tried calling with no luck. Helpline is now closed til monday.

Can anyone help with the following query?

My DH has left, and I have no childcare. I have found a CM to start from monday. Looking at various sites, it seems I am entitled to claim tax credits, and will receive a decent amount towards my childcare.

However, I think I will probably only be needing childcare for 4 weeks, at the rate that it is now (£175 a week). I'll be off work for 2 months paid, then on mat leave after that. But I am still going to use childcare, for around £60 a week.

How does this work with TC's? Do I work out my costs from now til April and divide by 13 (weeks)? I'm in limbo really, not knowing if I need 1 week or 13 weeks childcare, and how much it is all going to be.

What happens if I only use it for a week?

Are there any really helpful sites that explain absolutely everything about TC's?!

BertieBotts Sat 03-Jan-15 17:44:48

Tax credits only cover childcare if youre working 16 hours. Any less and they don't.

Theres a part on the form for "is this likely to change in tge next 6 months?" so I'd put the current amount in and then explain the change tgere. When it changes you need to report a change in circumstance.

carrielou2007 Sun 04-Jan-15 08:21:07

You can claim still whilst on mat leave (for the 39 weeks of SMP but not if you take the remaining unpaid 13 weeks) as long as you work more than 16 hours per week as you are still 'employed' sorry wrong term whilst on mat leave. Work out as an average your weekly costs. So if you are going back to work after the 13 weeks add all the weekly amounts up then divide to make an average. Don't forget to look at your annual salary too it may be less if you only get SMP rather than employer 'topping it up'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now