Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

first credit card?

(2 Posts)
saveahorserideacowboy Fri 02-Jan-15 13:31:50

Hi there looking for some advice please.
I am currently at SAHM although I work approx 8 -10 hours a week doing some admin work for parents business. I am just finishing a masters degree and within the next 6 months will be fully qualified to set up self employed in my career which I will do PT until both children start school in the next few years. My credit score is pretty good, nothing bad whatsoever but as we are hoping to get a mortgage in the next 5 years (my work dependant) I want to increase chances in any way.
My husband works FT and has a poor credit score due to a debt relief order he took out 4 years ago for loan debt he acquired before we met. He has recently got a credit card and uses it just for fuel and pays it off immediately.
My question is will having a credit card help my credit score and if so what should I get? And would I be approved and only work minimal hours. I am nervous of somehow racking up debt confused

I am also hoping to apply for a small business loan (approx £5000) so any advice regarding that would be great too.

Many thanks

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 02-Jan-15 20:08:35

Managing a credit card competently should improve your credit score. The best way to manage one IMHO is to set up a direct debit to pay off the balance each month so that you don't incur interest or late fees. If you never roll over the debt it's worth looking at a few comparison sites for cards that offer cash back or other loyalty incentives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now