Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Benefits help

(4 Posts)
lauraann1990 Tue 30-Dec-14 07:23:29

So me and my boyfriend havnt really had much of a Christmas this year, I live on my own with my two children and I don't work, on Boxing Day we found something out and the police and the child protection team have put my boyfriends son in our care until further notice, so my boyfriend and his son are at my house.i need to contact benefit to tell them about the change but all I wa to know was what will happen to my housing benefit as I'm struggling as it is and cannot afford for them to deduct any more, should me and my partner claim him as now living here permanently

afreshstartplease Tue 30-Dec-14 07:34:59

Does he work?

Fairylea Tue 30-Dec-14 07:36:28

If your boyfriend has moved in you need to contact everyone - tax credits, benefit office for housing benefit etc. If your boyfriend is earning and your income has gone up they will most likely reduce your housing benefit to reflect the increase in your joint income - they will expect you and boyfriend to pool all your income and pay all bills etc from that. You can look at the turn to us website for an indication of what you might get.

If your boyfriend doesn't have a job at the moment and is on jsa or income support the housing benefit will probably stay the same until he finds work (you still need to let them know however).

If your boyfriends son is now with you permanently you should be able to claim tax credits and child benefit for him - your boyfriend will need to do this in his name.

TalkinPeace Tue 30-Dec-14 11:04:15

where was he living before?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: