Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child tax credit question?

(19 Posts)
justhayley Sat 27-Dec-14 23:10:03

I have an almost 3 year old and a 5 month old.
I am currently in receipt of income support and child tax credits.
For various reasons I would like to come off income support.
Just wondering if you have to receive income support to keep getting child tax credits, or do they come as an all or nothing type of thing?

What are the qualifications for child tax credits?

Thank you

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 27-Dec-14 23:12:14

Nope. You get working tax credits and child tax credits instead of income support and child tax credits. The working tax credit is dependent upon your income and hours worked though. There's no qualifications for child tax credits.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 27-Dec-14 23:20:57

Try putting some income figures in here, it will help

justhayley Sat 27-Dec-14 23:28:26

Thank you.
Can you get child tax credit and no income support without working?

gamerchick Sat 27-Dec-14 23:33:20

Yes but you won't get housing/council tax benefit if you come off income support.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 27-Dec-14 23:38:38

You can still get housing and council tax benefit if you're working, it just depends on how much you earn. You're not entitled to income support if you're working but you can earn a very small amount whilst claiming income support, if that makes sense. I think it's £20 a week but you're best off going to the CAB and getting them to check your benefits.

bloodyteenagers Sat 27-Dec-14 23:46:50

It would depend on household income. You say you are coming off IS, would you be claiming a
Different benefit or moving in with a partner?

justhayley Sat 27-Dec-14 23:59:11

The plan is to get back with my ex, however he is in the military & lives at work. I do not want to be solely financially dependant on him while I'm not working & to be honest Military wages wouldn't cover our joint outgoings anyway, but I no I can't get income support if I'm not a single parent so am confused.
He has always contributed a chunk of my rent even when we split & the other part is covered by housing benefit. I'm currently trying to set up my own business so I can come off all benefits as I hate the whole system, but right now I'm not in a position to and with a 5 month old really don't want to be falsed to go out to work again just so I can have my family back togetherconfused
Things are right as it is and u have a horrible feeling by us getting back together it will be financially impossible.
Am I missing something?

justhayley Sun 28-Dec-14 00:00:34

*tight as it is

gamerchick Sun 28-Dec-14 08:40:12

If you give up your income support without going into a job you'll have to find full rent and council tax. So you will have to rely on him to support you.

But if you're not going to be living together then I would be tempted to leave things as they are tbh .

Have you declared the extra income or is it down as child support?

justhayley Sun 28-Dec-14 09:26:19

Yes iv declared the extra income. There's a difference between what I get from housing benefit and my actually rent and he pays the difference. Housing benefit and income support are both fine with this as it's not money that I actually see it goes in my account and 24 hours later comes out for rent.

That's crazy, you can get housing benefit if you work and are on a low income but not if you don't work but are not in receipt of income support?

Is there a benefit for people who are not single and not working but not living with their partner?

Sorry for all the questions. I haven't been on benefits long, it's brilliant that we have them but god they are confusing, and seem to be harder to get off them than get on them which is crazy to me confused

Edie21 Tue 30-Dec-14 21:26:46

You can get housing benefit if you don't work and don't get income Support. The amount of housing benefit you get is based on the amount of income you have, whether or not you are benefits. Getting income support simply meant you are 'pass ported' to maximum housing benefit. If you are not getting income support you will have to show proof of what you are living on - eg bank statements. If you are living as a couple then your partners income will be taken into account. It would be a good idea to go to your nearest CAB and ask them to do a calculation of your benefit entitlement.

Edie21 Tue 30-Dec-14 21:31:44

Ps - if you get back together with your ex you will need to stop your single tax credit claim and start a joint one - you may be entitled to working tax credit as well as child tax credit if his income is low

TrendStopper Wed 31-Dec-14 23:59:31

Do you have to claim jointly for tax credits if you have a partner but arent living together?

SoonToBeSix Thu 01-Jan-15 00:13:21

It depends trend if your partner is away working then yes, if you live separately all of the time then no.

TrendStopper Thu 01-Jan-15 01:15:23

Thanks Six.

My dsis has a long term partner, they dont live together, all her benefits are claimed as a single person but he sometimes stays over at her house 5 or 6 nights a week. Im a bit worried that she will get in to trouble.

SoonToBeSix Thu 01-Jan-15 01:25:33

If he stays over that often he may well be classed as living there. Is he her childrens father?

TrendStopper Thu 01-Jan-15 08:38:32

Yes he is. I have told her that she could get in to trouble for it.

youmakemydreams Thu 01-Jan-15 09:32:47

If you are coming off IS based on the fact that you are in a relationship and feel you are no longer entitled to them then you need to notify tax credits too and they will base any amount you get on your partners income as well. You will no longer be entitled to the single claim you currently have.
If he is not moving in and his permanent address will not be yours you can keep your benefits just now.
The system is not really set up for couples living apart. It assumes you are single and supporting yourself or in a relationship and your partner is supporting you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: