Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Haggling over car prices

(9 Posts)
GlitteryPoopooplop Mon 22-Dec-14 15:32:40

I'm such a novice at this. I usually go with my dad who totally just accepts everything they tell him and undermines me (like me asking for a full tank, he'd say Oh don't be silly, we'll do that).

But, I want to lease a car. I'm looking at Nissan and need to trade in my old car (according to parkers worth about £4000-5000). They offered me £3000 (I've told them I'm not happy with this) and I'm going back later this month to discuss it further. What kind of price do you think it's reasonable to say I was hoping for? Like would it be ridiculous to say I was thinking of more like £5000? And then settle somewhere in the middle?

I'm not in a mad rush, and I could sell the car privately if I needed to, but obviously trading in is quicker!

I'm so blooming English I'll probably feel all silly and chicken out but I'd really like a good deal!

LaurieFairyCake Mon 22-Dec-14 15:41:18

You need the Glass's guide value, Parkers is retail value.

They won't pay more than that if they're planning to sell it. They will only pay more by stiffing you on your purchase.

The best way to do it to maximise income is to sell it privately but it's a terrible time of year to sell cars second hand.

And on your purchase leases are the most expensive (though really convenient) way of doing it - you need to look this up but there are ways to get it cheaper (and not just the standard advice of buy on the last day of the month/end of the year)

My gut says sell yours privately with all the hassle and look up absolutely everything online price wise about your new car and possible costs including when their new model is due out.

GlitteryPoopooplop Mon 22-Dec-14 20:33:20

So the car I'm looking at is 2 year 0% pcp, with some cash thrown in for deposit by the manufacturer.

I do agree that selling privately will give me the best price for the car. (parkers showed me price for trade in/selling private/buying through a dealer). I just spent a bunch of cash on my current car and to be honest just want rid of it before the next thing goes wrong.

caroldecker Mon 22-Dec-14 20:53:48

What car are you after and we can have a look. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the individual elements of the deal are, just the total you are paying.

GlitteryPoopooplop Mon 22-Dec-14 21:05:11

Thank you! Basically, the specific deal is for a Nissan leaf. But i am kind of open to anything, I'd like a medium sized hatchback which is economical (obviously the leaf has no fuel other than electricity, so that's quite a good consideration), and which can be driven around town rather than long journeys.

The other consideration (and why I got sucked into the idea of the leaf) is that OH would like a qashqai or other suv so I thought if we went for the same manufacturers they might be more generous with offers.....

caroldecker Mon 22-Dec-14 21:52:48

I assume thisis the deal you are looking at.
The manufacture's offers are fixed on a quarterly basis and they will not care about you buying 2 cars. However the dealers will care and you could get an additional discount, but you would need to buy them together, I would expect.
Also dealers are often across different makes, for example, so talking to head office may mean you do not need to get the same brand.
I am weary of battery cars at the moment as I am not sure the batteries will last tha long and cost c.£5k to replace.
I would look at the top 5 here and choose the best car for you.

GlitteryPoopooplop Tue 23-Dec-14 20:05:31

The dealers are one of those ones which has many different branches across the town which sell different manufacturers. The qashqai, apparently there is a preregistration one available which he said is on for £16,500 as opposed to £20,900.

Thank you for investigating for me! I'm still unsure about the electrics but I'm getting me interested as I read more about them. I only drive around town (and have killed my diesel car in doing so).

caroldecker Tue 23-Dec-14 20:28:11

Yes diesels are crap around town as they have a filter which needs to get hot to burn off the particulates.

GlitteryPoopooplop Tue 23-Dec-14 21:03:09

Yeah my filter fully died and cost me a billion pounds to replace because it killed a load of other stuff. I was doing a 70 - 110 mile round trip commute when I bought it so it was ace then. But not appropriate now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now