Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credit overpayment - I have repaid the money but still unsure

(1 Post)
TheMD Sun 21-Dec-14 20:37:56

Hello - I'm a fairly new poster so if this belongs somewhere else, please feel free to move the thread.

I'd like to ask for your views on my situation with WTC overpayment. I received a letter advising me I'd been overpaid 400-odd pounds last year. My income has been too high for WTC for about 2 years now but I received DLA until May 2013 and this carried with it a small WTC award of approx £20 per week. This amount seems to have continued to be paid to be for some time, building up the £400-ish overpayment.

I didn't notice this being paid as I don't really look at my bank statements/transactions unless something is very out of place (I KNOW, I KNOW...I have a weekly "banking health check" now). I did, however, notify the HMRC by phone about not receiving DLA anymore. I don't remember exactly when this was or who I spoke to but I did tell them.

I've repaid the money on a credit card now but is there a chance of disputing having to pay it back if I notified them of the change in my circumstances? I accept there's some blame/financial negligence on my part but surely if I notify HMRC of my changes, it's up to them to adjust the payment?

Any ideas gratefully received, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now