Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Amazon trying to charge me for a item they sent me by mistake

(31 Posts)
marne2 Sat 20-Dec-14 09:27:54

i bought a pair of snow boots in the black friday deals last month, Amazon made a cock up and sent me 2 pairs but obviously i only paid for one pair. they have now started sending me emails requesting i send them back or they are going to charge me for them (the original price, not the price i payed ). neither pair of boots came with any paper work or return labels and i dont have access to a computer. I think they are being a bit out of order threatening to take money from my bank for something i didnt order. i have suggested they post me return labels but im not sure if they will. Where do i stand if they take money out of my bank for the boot?

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 20-Dec-14 09:30:00

Why didn't you return the second pair when it arrived?

ooerrmissus Sat 20-Dec-14 09:31:59

Phone them. Ask them to arrange a collection with DPD. Then all you need to do us write a note with the order number on and DPD do the rest.

Amazon are usually incredibly helpful but you do have to communicate with them, not just ignore them!

Letthemtalk Sat 20-Dec-14 09:32:17

Just send them back. Yanbu to expect a returns label, you shouldn't have to pay to return them

fairgame Sat 20-Dec-14 09:33:17

Can't you use a computer at a library or internet cafe to print the return label?

sooperdooper Sat 20-Dec-14 09:34:36

You know they're been sent in error, just return them - did you expect to keep them for free?

divingoffthebalcony Sat 20-Dec-14 09:34:40

Just return them, and then they won't make you pay for them. Simple. And I'm sure they will post you a return label if you ask.

sooperdooper Sat 20-Dec-14 09:36:14

Are you posting from your phone if you don't have access to s computer? Ask if you can write out the free post address to return them

MothershipG Sat 20-Dec-14 09:40:38

Do you mean you don't have access to a printer? What do you need a computer for? I presume you are using a phone or tablet for Internet and email?

They'll email you the returns label, can you not get a friend to print it for you? They do make it very simple, DPD will give you a one hour pick up slot or you can return it via one of their drop boxes.

I'm not quite sure what your difficulty is?

marne2 Sat 20-Dec-14 09:42:44

we dont have a internet cafe or library, i live in the middle of nowhere and im ill. I have emailed and asked for return labels. Im just angry that they are considering charging me for their cock up. I am happy to post them, i was just about to take them to the post office as they told me to use the return label which would be in the parcel, opened the parcel and theres nothing in there.

marne2 Sat 20-Dec-14 09:44:54

i dont expect to keep them for free, i dont want them (i only have 2 feet so why would i need 2 pairs ) grin. I just expect it to be a little bit easier to return something.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 20-Dec-14 09:46:05

Ive always found Amazon Customer service to be very good. How long have you had the boots? Did you phone them and tell them they had delivered two pairs and ask how to return? Can't see why they are 'threatening' if you were upfront about everything.

You need to pay for the goods you received or return them (at no cost to you). They will be able to send out a return label.

Don't really see what the issue is?

fairgame Sat 20-Dec-14 09:46:14

They don't put returns labels in the parcel. I've sent 2 items back this month and have had to generate the return label through the website. Is the second pair showing on your account history so you could generate the return label through the website?

YoullLikeItNotaLot Sat 20-Dec-14 09:46:35

Make it clear that you want to return the item.
However it should be at their expense/effort.
Tell them the days when you'll be in that a courier can collect from you.
Don't be unreasonably obstructive though.

marne2 Sat 20-Dec-14 09:46:54

I use a tablet or laptop, i have no need for a printer (i dont work on my pc). I dont know anyone with a printer, none of my friends have PC's every one has tablet these days.

marne2 Sat 20-Dec-14 09:49:11

Both pairs are showing on my account but when i click on them its saying there are no details (had to do this to send them a email ).

Hopefully they will agree to sending me the labels but i wont be able to post until after christmas, i just hope if they do charge me that they refund me once they are returned.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sat 20-Dec-14 09:53:22

I had until January to return something to Amazon that I bought in the BlackFriday week. I just marked it as needing to be returned and went from there. I do have a printer though.

I can't see why they can't send you a returns label but I'm not sure why it's taken a month to get to the point that you ask for one.

fairgame Sat 20-Dec-14 09:53:28

Ah if you do the return via the website you need a printer. I would ask them to send a courier or keep hassling them for a posted returns label. If they are slow to reply by email then webchat them.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sat 20-Dec-14 09:54:51

Items dispatched by Amazon.co.uk during the period from 1 November, 2014 to 31 December, 2014 inclusive may be returned at any time before midnight on 31 January, 2015.

Mark it as being a return and you have til the end of January to sort out a label.

Leviticus Sat 20-Dec-14 09:58:44

They will send you some returns labels. You can't keep them!

WeAllHaveWings Sat 20-Dec-14 09:59:02

You receive two pairs of boots. Go into amazon site the same day/night and say I have received two pairs of boots how do I return the extra pair? Amazon reply very quickly and say sorry, please print return label and post. You say I don't have access to a printer can you send one out, they say sure no problem. All within a day or two of receiving the boots.

How did it get to them "threatening" to charge you? Have they not replied to your emails? Have you not emailed them? Why has it taken so long to get them returned to them? If it is due to unreasonable delays at your side they are being fair to charge you, if their side it is unfair. Can't say without more information?

marne2 Sat 20-Dec-14 10:10:10

They wont let me mark the item as being returned as i havnt payed for them.

I only saw the email yesterday, they said they emailed me before but i can see any other emails, if i had seen a email i would have sorted it out (i check my email most days).

Hopefully know i have emailed they will sort it by sending me the labels.

Thank you all for your help x

You had to have already paid for them, if you ordered two boots in error. If there is only one order of boots and two in the box, amazon wouldn't know so couldn't threaten to charge.

what it sounds like is that you generated a returns label over 30 days ago and you got the auto generated email to say of the return doesn't arrive, the charge will be applied, which suggests a refund was sent to you.

If you contact them right now, someone can arrange for DPD on Monday or what ever day to suit to pick them up and you don't have to print a thing.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 20-Dec-14 10:24:33

based on the very little information you are giving out here (omitting how long you've had boots for, when you contacted them, when they replied, how it got to this stage), it appears you are, at best, not actively trying to return the boots and at worst being obstructive.

imo they are right to charge you as it probably the only way they have to prompt some action on your part when you have had their goods for so long with little or no constructive communication. Hope you get it sorted soon.

marne2 Sat 20-Dec-14 10:24:42

I didnt order 2 pairs, it was a black friday deal so you can only order 1 or each item so it was their cock up. The 2nd pair were not showing up on my account until this week ( probably when they realised they had sent me 2 pairs ).

I have contacted them, waiting to hear back, hopefully they will arrange for them to be collected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now