Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What am I entitled too?

(6 Posts)
Chickenfillets Mon 08-Dec-14 23:14:15

I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant and claiming JSA. Although the job centre have advised me to go on ESA instead as I'm having a crappy pregnancy. I'm just wondering when and what am I entitled to before and after baby is here? Obviously I want to get back into work as soon as baby is old enough but what can I claim until then? Or will I just always be on JSA or ESA?

ThatDamnedBitch Mon 08-Dec-14 23:22:31

I think when baby is here you can claim Income Support and Child Tax Credit. Until then I'm not sure. Try the benefits calculator on the Turn to us website.

Rockchick1984 Tue 09-Dec-14 09:06:24

Are you going to be a single parent? If not, what is your partner's salary?

Chickenfillets Tue 09-Dec-14 15:53:13

Yes a single parent.

Sparklezz Tue 09-Dec-14 17:51:32

From what i can remember once you get to 29 weeks you can claim income support. ESA is if you are unable to look for work which is if your having a bad time with your pregnancy and on JSA there can only be up to a certain point that you are allowed in sickness. ESA may be better for you if the doctor can give you a sick note and sign you off.

You can then claim child benefit once the baby is born not sure on the tax credit though but it does sound familiar and you probaly can. If your on a means tested benefit then you can also claim sure start through the jobcentre which is a one off payment to help with certain things plus you can claim for the healthy start vouchers where you get vouchers for things like milk, fresh fruit and veg.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your pregnancy.

Chickenfillets Tue 09-Dec-14 21:05:31

That helps a lot. Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now