Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Best 2nd hand car to buy?

(14 Posts)
seaweedthins Wed 03-Dec-14 19:15:52

I'm looking for inspiration as I'll be needing to buy a second hand car for myself and young son. I'm no petrol head but I like cars to have a bit of oomph and style. Nothing too dreary! Needs to have good boot space for camping trips, throwing bikes in the back etc. Most of all though it needs to be reliable and not too costly to run! Any ideas? I'm looking to spend up to £8k ideally - is this enough for a good second hand car do you think?
Thanks

specialsubject Thu 04-Dec-14 08:44:52

£8K??? I thought I was going some spending £1500!!

look on the Honest John website for reviews of what you have in mind. It makes them all look like lemons but will show you what commonly goes wrong.

you want something with neither too high a mileage, nor too low (hammered on school runs), not from anyone who adds 'styling kits' (boy racer) without too many dents and dings (crap driver) and ideally with some kind of service history.

all modern cars look the same due to aerodynamics, and you don't get style from a car.

peggyundercrackers Thu 04-Dec-14 10:35:54

sounds like an estate car or a big hatchback will suit you better. unless your doing loads of miles stick with petrol. for 8k you will get a decent car from any of the big manufacturers.

seaweedthins Thu 04-Dec-14 19:40:27

Thanks for your replies both of you. Yes, am thinking about an estate but no idea which one so will start doing lots of research. Will definitely look at honest john too - thanks for the tip, I only know auto trader?

Interesting about the cost too - and if I can get away with spending less, I'm all up for that!! Just scarred from years of crap secondhand cars, constant breakdowns and horrendous MOT/repair bills. My monthly income is pretty low so I'd rather spend more on a better car first off than shell out down the line if that makes sense.

Could I get something decent for say £5k, anyone, and if so, any particular makes that are a good bet?

Thanks again

specialsubject Fri 05-Dec-14 12:50:19

as noted, go for petrol as diesels get expensive. Check out dual-mass flywheel problems and buy a car without; most of the new eco-tech has a very limited life because They want us all to buy a new car every three years.

go for minimal gadgets (they go wrong).

I loved my S-reg Mondeo estate, fantastic spacious, reliable, comfortable car but the welding bill got too high. The replacement 53 plate Mondeo is ok but there are a lot of stupid design issues, like all newer cars. Sadly there's not much choice.

peacoat Sat 13-Dec-14 16:10:44

You can get an Audi for £8K!

grumpyoldgitagain Sat 13-Dec-14 16:13:52

Audi or VW and an estate sounds like it will fulfil space needs

Panicmode1 Sat 13-Dec-14 16:16:37

Anything that isn't French would be my advice!!

ArchangelGallic Sat 13-Dec-14 16:16:52

Honda jazz. Dead reliable and runs for ever.

readysteady Sat 13-Dec-14 16:18:31

Skoda Fabia or Octavia estate? We love our Octavia

greeningthedesert Tue 16-Dec-14 18:57:58

Subaru foresters seem to run and run - it's a very popular second hand car where we live.

Mariana09 Tue 16-Dec-14 21:06:13

Hi, try the Toyota prius they come in two versions smaller and estate. It looks very good, it is realiable (I got mine second hand a couple of years ago), plus it has the plus that because it is a Hybrid it does not pay tax, you put petrol and also has a battery that charges when you ride, meaning you spend less petrol. I am very happy with this car and would buy it again! good luck

Spickle Thu 18-Dec-14 16:35:33

My neighbour has a VW Passat Estate and loves it.

LL12 Sun 28-Dec-14 20:14:02

A Toyota

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now