Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sure start maternity grant !!?

(10 Posts)
joflores Wed 03-Dec-14 14:37:19

So looking for a bit of advice, I've been declined my claim for the SureStart £500 maternity grant which my midwife and citizens advice told me I can claim being my first baby and being entitled to the full child tax credits when she arrives... My question is how can I claim for the grant before she's here when I can't claim the tax credits until she is ... I hope this makes sense and someone else is in my boat 🚣!? I coulda kinda do with the grant before the main event !!

Rockchick1984 Wed 03-Dec-14 17:54:56

Why was the claim declined? Your tax credits are for the child so you can't get them until the baby arrives!

Babyroobs Wed 03-Dec-14 21:29:24

I don't think you can, you have to wait until you've put the tax credit claim in. You can get baby equipment fairly cheaply on Ebay/ frecycle or at NCT sales.

joflores Wed 03-Dec-14 21:54:55

It was declined because I can not yet claim tax credits because my baby isn't here until jan '15 and I can't claim that until she is here, so much for being organised sad

Rockchick1984 Wed 03-Dec-14 23:18:29

Are you or your partner working currently? The vast majority of people who can claim are eligible for it while still pregnant...

MatildaV Thu 04-Dec-14 18:07:57

I was only eligible after I gave birth, as I wasn't receiving any tax credits beforehand. What you'll need to do is wait until the baby's born, get the birth certificate asap, get your tax credits claim sent off, then when that comes through apply for the Sure Start grant. It's fiddly, and they give you pretty tight timescales at a time when you could really do without it. I think tax credits will only backdate for a month, and the SS grant needs to be claimed within 3 months. Get your tax credit forms now and fill in all the details you can, then there's less to do once the baby's born.

Meirasa Fri 05-Dec-14 08:52:46

I'm sorry but you are not eligible for Sure Start and won't be because your circumstances don't meet the criteria. You will only be able to get tax credits in order after the baby is born and you meet the eligibility criteria.

QoFE Fri 05-Dec-14 09:01:14

You can claim the SS maternity grant up to 3 months after the baby is born iirc. So if you are super quick getting him/her registered and a child benefit and tax credit claim in, you should be able to claim afterwards. I know that's no help now though - what are you short of?

tyra1978 Sat 06-Dec-14 19:14:00

I got mine when I was 30 weeks pregnant

SoonToBeSix Sat 06-Dec-14 21:47:53

Unless you currently claim income support or tax credits for another child you will have to wait till baby is born. You will also have to be entitled to child tax credits above the basic rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now