Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is this for real?! CSA calculation

(5 Posts)
FaithLoveandGrace Wed 03-Dec-14 12:52:19

DP is looking at going to university (though more likely to be OU) and we know that technically according to CSA guidelines students don't pay. So we used the calculator saying that DP's student finance would be actual income from a job rather than as a student to see what they suggest he pays if he did go expecting it to say maybe £40 a week. We have DSS 52-103 nights a year (sometimes more) and the calculator said he'd have to pay £14 a week! Is this for real?! Since when have children only cost £56 a month (or 112 if you say CSA covers half)?! I'm pretty sure we spend around £50 if not more a month (not including contribution to Mum) only having DSS every other weekend when you factor in clothes inc school uniform / food / heating (we tend to leave heating off when DSS is not here) / Christmas and birthdays etc.

No wonder lone parents get so pissed off with CSA at times!!

CogitOIOIO Wed 03-Dec-14 13:04:55

The CSA calculation tends to be a bare minimum. Couples who are reasonably cooperative can agree something between them that is more flexible or generous. With the ones who are determined not to pay, the CSA amount is better than nothing. The resident parent possibly qualifies for Child Benefit or Tax Credits on top.

TrendStopper Thu 04-Dec-14 22:35:54

It is calculated at 15% of your income.

FaithLoveandGrace Fri 05-Dec-14 10:14:13

Trendstopper but £14 is much less than 15% of what his income would be!

CogitOIOIO yes I suppose the bare minimum is better than nothing. It's still rubbish though!

FaithLoveandGrace Fri 05-Dec-14 10:15:38

Oh I think I've just realised why it's so low. Isn't there something about it being a reduced rate if less than £200 a week (which it would be).

I really can't get my head around the logic of child maintenance rates...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now