Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Advice please - does a foreign pension effect housing benefit?

(6 Posts)
JimbosJetSet Wed 03-Dec-14 09:19:18

Hello I'm not having much luck with Google so I was wondering if anyone could help me here!

My father is in receipt of a foreign pension from when he was in the army in Europe (he is not British). He gets approx £100 a month. He and my mother are in receipt of housing benefit but are not currently declaring the pension he receives...

My mother is terrified of DWP finding out about the pension and loosing the benefits they receive hmm

Does anyone know if a foreign pension is taken into account when calculating benefit payments?

Many thanks in advance.

AnnoyingOrange Wed 03-Dec-14 10:21:47

TBH, as it is income I would think that it should be declared and taken into account

Vinomcstephens Sun 07-Dec-14 20:18:07

If the pension is paid into a British bank account then yes, it's I come that should be declared.

Why would your parents have thought that they didn't need to declare it?

Vinomcstephens Sun 07-Dec-14 20:18:25

Income, not I come!

SoonToBeSix Mon 08-Dec-14 20:52:38

Yes surely that is obvious .

InfinitySeven Mon 08-Dec-14 20:56:20

Yes, it is. I believe there is a question specifically asking about pensions, and one about foreign payments.

I'm not surprised that your mum is worried, if they haven't declared it. They could be working up a substantial overpayment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now