Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Shifting overdraft debt onto 0% credit card - is this a good idea?

(5 Posts)
MiaSparrow Sat 29-Nov-14 23:08:42

If someone could shed some light on this I'd be really grateful. I have dyscalculia and I have previously been TERRIBLE with money matters, but I'm now determined to get on top of it...

So, I have a massive overdraft and am currently about 2K under. This is with Barclays, who've suddenly upped their charges, so my priority is to get rid of the overdraft ASAP.

I've just got a new credit card, 0% for 18 months, but obviously a balance transfer would be from another card only, whereas I want to put my overdraft debt on it. Anyone done this? And if so, how?

I reckon once I've shifted the overdraft it'll be easier for me to make repayments without Barclays' insane charges. And I'm definitely making more than I'm spending now, too.

Please treat me like I'm 12 years old and I don't know anything about such matters. I really do need it spelled out in very simple terms. I'm so ashamed of this learning difficulty that I hide it and that's when I get into money doom. confused

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 30-Nov-14 08:43:47

Is the card 0% on balance transfers or 0% on new expenditure? You may not be able to transfer the balance of the overdraft but you could potentially use the card to pay for items that your bank account normally covers. Build up the CC balance as the OD balance reduces

However, if you have a 'massive' overdraft and you have gone £2000 beyond that (if I'm reading that right), then you will need to micro-manage your spending, budgeting carefully and at the same time make sure that you are paying down both the OD and the CC debt at a good rate. By the end of the 18 month 0% period you should aim to have a balanced bank account and a zero balance on the CC.

afterthought Sun 30-Nov-14 09:53:13

I did this with an MBNA card - you need one that also offers 0% on money transfers to a bank account. It only works though if you are disciplined enough to not use the overdraft once it is paid back, and also to not use the credit card to buy anything.

Aviator Sun 30-Nov-14 15:53:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aviator Sun 30-Nov-14 16:00:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now