Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Nationwide 3 hour mortgage interview

(11 Posts)
lauren222 Fri 28-Nov-14 18:54:33

My husband and I have a 3 hour mortgage interview with Nationwide next week. Has anyone been through this recently? I would be interested to know if there were any questions that surprised you or if there was anything else you wished you had prepared in advance. Our mortgage has been agreed in principle so I am fairly optimistic about the application being accepted but am keen to hear of other experiences.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 28-Nov-14 19:23:33

Not Nationwide but another lender. I wasn't expecting it to take 2 hours but the questions were quite detailed regarding how much I spent on various regular outgoings, how much I had on deposit, what insurance I had on place, all kinds of things. Nothing I couldn't answer from bank statements. There seemed to be quite a lot of questions about whether I was happy with the questions, whether I understood the risks and I even got a follow up phone call checking I'd been OK with the process!!!

lauren222 Fri 28-Nov-14 19:25:18

That is reassuring, we will be spending this weekend putting a budget forecast together so hopefully that will make things easier on the day.

BumWad Sat 29-Nov-14 21:41:38

Our nationwide 3 hour thing ended up being less than an hour. We took all pay slips, bills, insurance docs etc with us with a budget for the new place ready.

Preciousbane Sun 30-Nov-14 10:44:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ianhthomson Tue 19-May-15 23:43:03

Hope the interview went well.
My Nationwide interview lasted 3.5 hours despite having sent copies of all the paperwork in advance and the mortgage only being for 23% of the property value. The salary multiple was 1.25. Worst of all we didn't proceed because of survey findings. One week later and we're going to buy a new build, but nationwide have said we need to go through the whole process again...all that's changed is I've had 1 new payslip and the salary multiple has gone up to 1.5! I'm afraid a 20 year association with nationwide is coming to an end. (it may be relevant that my interview was via video link with someone 250 miles away)

Melonfool Wed 20-May-15 21:23:26

This is the new mortgage 'affordability' rules rather than N'wide themselves, though they are very risk averse as an organisation. And the increase in 'know your customer' guidelines from the FCA.

Mine with Santander took two hours two years ago (before the new rules) and they asked all sorts of things but I have to admit I felt a lot was an attempt to sell me other services. They went through all expenditure and even asked me to double check we don't have Sky...um, not something I need to double check actually, I'd never pay for a TV package!

I got a bit cross with them as there is a whole list of about 12 different insurances they insisted on going through and I said "oh, this section's easy, I only have one - the xx one [can't recall which it was]" and they insisted on asking me separately every single insurance just so I could say "no", "no", "no" eleven times!

AnneElliott Wed 20-May-15 22:22:54

I had it with Nationwide but it didn't take 3 hours. I did feel it was about selling insurance. They went on and on about critical Illness cover and wouldn't accept that DH can't get it due to his heart condition. I had to be quite firm to get them to move on.

Twirlwirlywoo Wed 20-May-15 22:29:08

Oh God I am dreading this! We are just about to book a mortgage interview with the Nationwide.

Its been over 10 years since we last applied for a mortgage and there was none of this shit then!

JamaicanFlowers Wed 15-Feb-17 02:41:34

this thread is a bit old, and this is quite off topic, but wondering whether any Nationwide client (and mumsnet user) wanted to refer me as a new client.

(I'm not yet a client, but I'm planning to: they've ranked 2nd on customer satisfaction by 'Which'; and also they aren't yet another listed, greedy financial conglomerate)

(ex investment banker done with capitalismsmile

thanks

Headred Wed 15-Feb-17 16:22:06

If you haven't already done so I am happy to refer you just PM me. We have got to sit a 2 hour telephone interview to change product, which is a pain. Other than that I am a big fan of Nationwide on the whole

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now