Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Lost my job, No money.

(9 Posts)
DrewLX Wed 26-Nov-14 10:29:38

Hello all,

I'm 23 and at the start of the month I lost my job. I've been applying for every job I can, had a few interviews, couple more to come but it doesn't look like I'll be employed any time soon.

Along with that is I have just ran out of money which means I can't pay next months rent, council tax, BT etc and being chucked out at Christmas isn't what I had planned.
I have looked in to benefits such as housing and JSA but as I'm 23 the rates are lower.

Does anyone know what I can do? Anything to look in to?

Beanie99 Wed 26-Nov-14 10:46:29

You need to claim JSA for starters, does it matter that the rates are lower? A smaller amount of money is better than no money, surely. Same for housing benefit and council tax reduction, you may not be entitled to much but every little helps.

I would concentrate on your rent and council tax firstly as you need to keep a roof over your head. BT are not likely to make you homeless if you don't pay your phone bill.

Where do you live, can you get a lodger?

DrewLX Wed 26-Nov-14 10:59:52

I'll be doing JSA today, sent off a housing benefit form yesterday.

I live in Newcastle and no I don't think so.
I've asked for my old job back but that may not go so well.
I've got a very negative view if this, seeing as I don't have any family help etc, I've asked my ex if I can talk to her mum (we were close) to see if she can help. Very much doubt it.
I'll also be off down to cex, see wgat I can sell.

specialsubject Wed 26-Nov-14 13:59:52

if you are in an assured tenancy then you can't be chucked out in the next few weeks. You need to be 8 weeks in arrears before the landlord can start eviction proceedings.

not that I'm suggesting not paying the rent but that is the situation. Could you also look at moving somewhere cheaper, perhaps a house-share?

of course forget Christmas, stop all spend beyond the absolute essentials, and continue that job hunt.

Grumpyoldblonde Wed 26-Nov-14 14:03:16

Would you be able to look for some seasonal work in this run up to Christmas? bar, shop, whatever. Can your own family help or are you not in touch? yes do claim the JSA for now and keep looking with an open mind and sell anything you can, if you have old mobile phones, games consoles or whatever.
Good luck, I understand you are very down and anyone would be but you are young and have lots ahead to look forward to - very best of luck to you

DrewLX Wed 26-Nov-14 14:42:00

My tennancy has run out, so st the moment it's rolling over, will that be a problem?
I would look at another place but without the funds it's not an option. Should of done that to begin with.
Oh yeah, had to tell my girlfriend that Christmas is delayed so she's off to see her family.
Applied for a few jobs that require travel.

I've been avoiding seasonal work but I think it may be time to go for it, work all the hours I can and spend nothing. I don't drink or smoke so that helps with the spending.
My family and I aren't in touch, no.
I've asked a friend to give me a lift in to town, I have consoles and what not to sell so that may cover the rend for a month.

Thanks very much guys.

InfinitySeven Wed 26-Nov-14 14:47:06

Does your girlfriend live with you? Can she help out?

How much of the rent will your HB cover?

You should be entitled to JSA as long as you didn't make yourself unemployed. It's not very much each week and it can take a few weeks before you see the money.

Once that and your HB are in place, you can apply for a discretionary housing payment, which means you'll get more HB to cover your rent for a limited time. It's not guaranteed, though, and it usually depends on why you lost your job and how much in need you are (at least around here).

DrewLX Wed 26-Nov-14 16:37:30

She lives in Northampton, still at Uni.
HB won't cover much as I'm under 25.
I had JSA before when I was 19, hopefully it hasn't changes too much.

I didn't know discretionary HB, worth looking in to thanks.
I lost my job because my contract ran out. It was for six months but I was told I'd be there at least twelve then for some reason it wasn't renewed.
Some good news is that the company I used to work for have an office in Scotland that is hiring, so fingers crossed for that.

specialsubject Wed 26-Nov-14 17:33:26

rolling tenancy is the same as any other - again, not suggesting not paying! You'll get your deposit back (if there was one). Your notice to your landlord is a month to expire on the day rent is normally paid, but if you want/are able to go earlier then ask.

good luck with it all - you sound like you have all the right attitudes and that counts for a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now