Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

a question about debt

(3 Posts)
SLMummy Tue 25-Nov-14 18:29:03

was going to nc for this but bugger it

a few years ago when I was with abusive xp he figured buying weed was more important than paying rent and council tax which landed us in a fair bit of debt. over the last few years I've paid what I could towards this debt and it's roughly about half gone. I've had several issues such as the collection agency trying to charge me for arrears incurred before I moved in with xp and he has not paid a penny towards clearing the outstanding balance.

I had resigned myself with having to pay of his debt as we are jointly liable for any arrears during time we lived together. I wasn't happy about it but I knew it was the only way the debt would ever get cleared. my attitude towards this changed when he was convicted of possession of indecent images of minors. not going into detail here but the last year has been generally horrific. the thought of having to do anything to assist this man, even indirectly is sickening to me.

so basically, I'm looking for advice on whether there is anyone way can appeal to get the debt split or if there's anything that can be done at all that would mean me not paying a penny towards that twats debt.

apologies for length, thanks in advance if you made it this far

SLMummy Tue 25-Nov-14 19:34:16

forgot to mention earlier, I'm in Scotland so there might be some differences in the law

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Nov-14 09:43:41

This sounds like the kind of thing that CAB could potentially help you with. However, if you've been making the payments 100% for a few years, that might weaken your case a little. What sort of amounts are involved?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now