Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How have you made extra cash whilst on maternity

(8 Posts)
sophieemily Mon 24-Nov-14 07:49:35

Hi everyone.

Just wondered if anyone has some hints or tips on saving/earning extra cash to keep you on track whilst on maternity leave?

Thanks

treaclesoda Mon 24-Nov-14 07:53:45

I think you need to check your terms of employment. When I worked for the company I took maternity leave from it would have been gross misconduct to have earned money elsewhere, even on maternity leave. We were forbidden in our contracts from taking on second jobs or doing any self employed work.

excitedforbaba Mon 24-Nov-14 08:01:11

Yes to what treacle said! Most employers don't allow any kind of work whilst on mat leave and it can actually affect your mat pay.
Have you looked Into tax credits entitlement? Then there will be child benefit as well.
You could have a pre baby clear out and sell things that are of no use to you or that you won't use and as baby grows out of clothes etc you could sell those on to make a few £s
it is tough going on mat pay my income has more than halved

Screenclean Mon 24-Nov-14 08:47:16

I was going to say the same as the others. I think people reduce outgoings on maternity leave then sell stuff on eBay/Facebook and that's about it!

KitKat1985 Mon 24-Nov-14 10:47:47

Watching with interest as in the same boat, but at the moment a bit of ebay selling is all I can think of to earn a few extra pennies without breaching my maternity leave conditions from work. x

MatildaV Mon 24-Nov-14 21:23:26

Look into matched betting. It's tax free and wouldn't count as "work". A lot of money can be made, trust me smile

xxayami Tue 25-Nov-14 17:50:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

KitKat1985 Tue 25-Nov-14 18:05:36

Great ideas thank you ladies. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now