Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax credit - grandaprents receive for our daughter

(11 Posts)
startnow Thu 20-Nov-14 06:36:13

we work full time and lots of time our daughter stays with my parents. she used to stay some overnights but not now. My parents receive tax credit. if she is not staying overnight - is it an issue - maybe my grand parents not eligible for the tax credit for my daughetr? Thank you.

TweedAddict Thu 20-Nov-14 06:38:43

I'm amazed that your grandparents can claim to be honest, thought only the parent/gardien who the child lives with can claim

Groovee Thu 20-Nov-14 06:47:24

The only time I've been aware of grandparents receiving tax credits was when they have their grandchildren permanently residing with them.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 20-Nov-14 06:54:57

They must have said that she lives with them.

If you're getting tax credits for dd as well then when they work this out it won't be good.

Katinkka Thu 20-Nov-14 06:57:10

Why on earth did they think they could claim tax credits?!

TweedAddict Thu 20-Nov-14 07:17:27

Have you been claiming for her as well?

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 20-Nov-14 07:22:59

Your parents are going to get a very big bill if they're fraudulently claiming to be your DD's resident parent. Especially if you're claiming tax credits for the same child.

CinnabarRed Thu 20-Nov-14 07:26:45

Or if they're claiming because you and your partner earn too much to qualify.

ArsenicSoup Thu 20-Nov-14 07:29:41

No, they are not eligible and 'some overnights' were not sufficient to make them eligible either, when that was the case.

Viva is right - they must have said she lived with them. They are claiming fraudently, which is a crime.

lougle Thu 20-Nov-14 07:37:42

You can only get tax credits if your child usually lives with you. Your parents are not and have never been eligible to claim and are committing fraud.

magpiegin Thu 20-Nov-14 08:13:55

I would speak to the tax credit people. If it was a mistake it's better to be up front than have them come knocking for fraud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now