Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

National Insurance for SAHM

(27 Posts)
spababe Wed 19-Nov-14 09:32:51

Well my youngest child is 12 so I think my childcare NI contributions have stopped. I am a SAHM and intend to stay that way so do I need to pay NI contributions now to be sure I get a pension in the long term?? I have tried to find out by googling but can't find the relevant info. I have tried ringing the NI office but they eventually say they are too busy to talk to me and cut me off! Does anyone know please

JustAShopGirl Wed 19-Nov-14 09:41:16

Take a look here the whole site has a load of info on voluntary contributions.

TheAlias Wed 19-Nov-14 09:50:08

It depend how many years you paid before you became a SAHM and what your plans are for the future. If you were born after 1950, you "only" need 30 years' contributions to qualify for the full state pension.

info here

I worked 20 years before becoming SAHM and then had 7 years before DS2 turned 12, so I only need to work 3 years between now and retirement to be all paid up.

TalkinPeace Wed 19-Nov-14 13:23:37

depending how old you are, state pension will barely be worth the effort

specialsubject Wed 19-Nov-14 18:07:30

the number of qualifying years is going up again to 35:

I spoke to the pensions people last week to get my updated forecast. Even they aren't too sure and are recommending that everyone gets a new forecast in 2016. Brilliant, not.

spababe Wed 19-Nov-14 18:58:58

I worked for 15 years before the first DS. I tried to get my NI record but they emailed back after about 4 weeks saying I had failed a security question (??) and I would have to write in with lots of information. I haven't done that yet and I suppose I better get on with it.

TalkinPeace Wed 19-Nov-14 19:00:37

I'm not sure why you are worrying TBH : the state pension is a pittance even if you have all the years.
I'm not even including it in my calculations for later life

SewCraftyLou Wed 19-Nov-14 19:05:01

I was worried I might be denied NHS treatment in the future if I hadn't contributed sufficiently, or is that not correct?

LittleRobots Wed 19-Nov-14 19:06:58

I'm terrified about pensions as the state pension is all we are likely to have. I worked part time prior to becoming a SAHM - is it 12 then that it stops "counting". I'm not sure what the total of my hours would be before that as it varied.

TheAlias Wed 19-Nov-14 19:08:10

Don't your contributions affect your entitlement to out of work benefits as well though Talkin?

I broadly agree that for most people not nearing retirement state pension will be neither here nor there but if you only have a small gay making up the contributions doesn't cost much and might turn out to be worthwhile.

Also, in these days of benefits cuts, I also wonder what other things we might not be entitled to in the future without full contributions.

TalkinPeace Wed 19-Nov-14 19:08:50

Incorrect. If you are British you always get the NHS

I'm now paying into a pension for the first time age 49
but do not plan to retire anyway

TheAlias Wed 19-Nov-14 19:09:24

XP Sew. No it's not the case ATM but I do think it's possible (not likely) that could happen in the future.

Bowlersarm Wed 19-Nov-14 19:10:27

I was under the impression that it was continually counted until the youngest child is either 16 or 18. Hmm, need to clarify.

TheAlias Wed 19-Nov-14 19:16:27

No, it's definitely only under 12s. It's never been made clear what happens to people who no longer claim CB because their partner earns over the threshold. I have continued to claim, knowing we will have to pay it back in DH's tax return, just to be sure.


Preciousbane Wed 19-Nov-14 23:13:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Thu 20-Nov-14 13:57:05

it isn't being British that qualifies you for NHS treatment, it is being resident in the UK. Live here, no problem. It's nothing to do with tax, NI contributions or anything else.

until each government continues to wreck it

TheAlias Thu 20-Nov-14 15:12:47

That's not true special? If it were, how do all the non-residents retired to the Costas get to come home for NHS treatment?

Also, there are overseas nationals resident here who aren't entitled to NHS treatment.

NunsArePeopleTooDougal Thu 20-Nov-14 16:06:32

TheAlias, I don't think British people living abroad are entitled to the NHS after a certain number of years, although I don't think it's particularly well enforced.

whitemeringue Thu 20-Nov-14 16:31:43

The NI contributions won't make any difference for claiming ESA or JSA as you only get class 3 NI credits with child benefit. Class 3 credits are known as voluntary contributions and they'd count towards a pension and bereavement benefits, but won't help you if you're unemployed or ill.

TalkinPeace Thu 20-Nov-14 18:00:11

special is correct : I've never had any problem accessing the NHS despite not having a UK passport till recently.

You do need an NHS number and they are clamping down on issuing those other than at birth
those who live abroad are indeed restricted, but if UK citizens get NHS the day they come back to the UK

specialsubject Fri 21-Nov-14 10:33:10

the Costa del pensioners are not entitled to use the NHS if living permanently abroad:

you are supposed to deregister with your GP when you leave. I wonder if anyone does? GPs don't check to see if you still live where you say and you don't have to visit the practice to keep up your registration.

as Talkinpeace says, if you've been abroad and come back to live in the UK, you are then entitled to use the NHS. Living here means contributing to our economy even if you don't work because you buy things.

TalkinPeace Fri 21-Nov-14 13:18:51

GPs do check now - they call pensioners in for annual checkups.
If they do not come then they are deregistered if other locality checks do not pan out.

kazah72 Thu 11-Dec-14 09:59:28

Hello helpful people!
please can I check, my husband is a SAHD. We've just come back from Germany and haven't bothered to apply for child benefit because we would have to pay it back. From reading your thread, it seems as if we should apply for it, maybe pay it straight into a saving account so we don't accidentally spend it and then give it back at the end of the year in a tax return.

Does anyone know if it counts if I get it? Will I be able to pay it back monthly in my tax code and will my DH still get the points for the NI contributions??

Spindelina Thu 11-Dec-14 13:39:46

You can claim CB (which gets NI contribution credit for the person claiming - your DH), but elect to not actually receive the payments. here is the website.

TarkaTheOtter Thu 11-Dec-14 13:45:04

TheAlias it is clear what happens if you elect to not receive CB payments because your partner earns too much - so long as you fill in the claim form you get the NI credits. The form is very clear on this. You just tick the box to say that you don't wish to receive the payments.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: