Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

IVA-advice please help!!!

(6 Posts)
Aliiiii Tue 18-Nov-14 17:25:09

Hi all,
Please bear with me this a long one!
I'm 46 single mum with one ds age 9. I'm employed buy a bank but have been off since January this year, my current diagnosis is Recurrent Depressive Disorder Current Episode Severe-my Psychiatrist words not mine! I have suffered on n off with depression over the last 5/6 years. When in an episode I take pleasure from spending money and I mean lots of money, my money, money that isn't mine(credit cards, store cards, catalogues etc) this resulted in a debt of 41k this year.
I was struggling to make the minimum payments and was also an impatient for 3 weeks and in that time I knew I has to deal with this large debt
A company contacted me who advised that an IVA would be the best option for me, having looked at the paperwork I agreed. Now I was adamant from the first contact that I did not want the joint homeowner( my mum) involved at all, I was told even though it was a joint mortgage that would be fine.
Fast forward 4 months, the IVA had been set up, I'm making my payments as agreed, no harassing contact from my creditors-good I thought. Then last week I received a form that was to do with the land registry, it had both my mums and my name on so phoned the IVA company repeating myself for the hundredth time saying my mum was not to be involved, fine they say so they send out a form for just me to sign and on reading it again they make reference to my mum.
In despair I phone the company who tell me that under the IVA scheme a homeowner. has to have an interest registered with the land registry and as I only own 20% and my mum 80% something will have to be registered against her on the land registry and the registry will write to her to advise her
I'm angry beyond belief my health is fragile and I thought I had sorted this out
I paid the company £300 to do the paperwork etc and have made monthly repayments as agreed to the tune of £300 which I know think has only lined the companies pockets and not my creditors( the norm apparently!!)
I don't know what to do I don't want my mum aware of my financial probs she's bailed my out at least twice before to the tune of over £30k
My issue is what to do? I want to cancel the IVA and contact my creditors to explain the circumstance I don't want them thinking I'm not willing to repay, i also want to put a complaint in to the IVA company who despite repeated conversations about the joint mortgage have happily taken my money when I would never have gone ahead if I had known that the land registry action was part n parcel of the IVA
Sorry to go on, I'm very upset by all this and don't know where to turn next

Rockchick1984 Wed 19-Nov-14 01:33:04

Contact one of the free debt advice charities - personally I've dealt with Stepchange and would absolutely recommend them. Never use one of the companies who charges you for their services! Stepchange will tell you if the info is correct that you've been told, and will be able to sort an IVA (if that is the best thing for you in your circumstances) where you won't be "lining their pockets" any more.

AlpacaMyBags Wed 19-Nov-14 03:25:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Monathevampire1 Wed 19-Nov-14 04:28:23

You were given very poor advice. An IVA probably wasn't your best option. There is no way anyone can register an interest on the property without informing the other owner.

You need to speak to the CAB or Stepchange and then move forward.

Aliiiii Wed 19-Nov-14 18:35:04

Thanks all
Spoke to Stepchange this morning, quite rightly while I am on an IVA elsewhere they will not advise me, so have contacted the IVA company and told them I want to cancel, and to expect confirmation in writing and also a nice letter of complaint!
Spent all day phoning my creditors to let them know what's happening as I don't want them thinking I'm shirking payment
My IVA company aren't going to know what's hit them!!!

AlpacaMyBags Wed 19-Nov-14 23:24:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now