Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

help about income support desperately needed!!!

(117 Posts)
coco2303 Sat 15-Nov-14 16:40:08

Hi, I went to the jobcentre today for an appointment. I have a 16 month old daughter and u am due another daughter in 4 weeks time. I have been on income support since March of this year.
Every time I have gone to the jobcentre fir their review on my income support I have always stated that me and my child's father are still together although not living together. He stays 2-3 nights a week but does cone to see his daughter regularly. This gas NEVER been an issue before.
So I am now extremely stressed as today I saw someone different and told them the EXACT same things that I have always told the previous person interviewing me and I have been told I am committing benefit fraud!!!!!!!
That although my partner us registered at a different address because we are 'together' and expecting another child he has to support us. But i cannot understand why this has never been an issue before and how he can be expected to be able to afford to run 2 households? ????
Basically they have signed me off income support from today without checking my partners income or anything.
Please tell me they have it wrong and I can appeal. I am very very stressed at the moment wondering how I am supposed to pay bills and buy food etc. And like u said this is the first time my partner staying a couple of nights a week or coming to see his child had been an issue. Thank you for reading xx

TalkinPeace Sat 15-Nov-14 16:46:11

You are having a child with him.
You are a family unit.
Why is he running another household?

Bearbehind Sat 15-Nov-14 16:49:26

Why doesn't he live with you or support his children?

I don't know the ins and outs of benefits but having 2 children within 17 months with the same man and him not living with you or not supporting either does seem to be playing the system.

coco2303 Sat 15-Nov-14 16:56:27

He has only recently started working (agency work) 2 weeks ago as he had an injury to his arm before that so was unable to work and was on DLA. While he was on benefits he did give me £80 a month.
But I am the bill payer in my house and provide nappies and food etc for my daughter. So stressing about how I am supposed to pay all if these things. And with my partner on agency work its not guaranteed. For example last week he only worked for 2 days

Bearbehind Sat 15-Nov-14 17:00:03

But why don't you live together?

Running 2 households obviously isn't going to be cost effective.

If you live together and make a claim based on your actual circumstances then you can't be accused of claiming fraudulently.

ArsenicSoup Sat 15-Nov-14 17:01:14

Get an appointment at the CAB or similat ASAP and get them to check this for you.

You should also 'phone the Jobcentre and ask for an official decision letter re. the end of your IS claim.

The DWP may well report to the HMRC with the result that your Tax Credit claim will also be stopped. You need to decide fast whether to appeal or to make joint claims.

TalkinPeace Sat 15-Nov-14 17:01:22

You are having a child with a man who is in work but expect us to support you?

Why does he not live with you as that would reduce the bills significantly?

coco2303 Sat 15-Nov-14 17:06:25

Him not living with us has worked for us we love eachother but our relationship went into turmoil when our first child was stillborn in 2012.
I have no problem in claiming together when we do live together and hopefully that will happen in the near future.........
I just don't no what to do at the moment.

Bearbehind Sat 15-Nov-14 17:09:53

OP, you can't have everything on your terms. Not living together because it doesn't suit you is fine if you can both support yourselves but it isn't right to make benefit claims as individuals or for him not to support his children when there are alternatives.

All you can do at the moment is tell the truth and see what that entitles you to.

TalkinPeace Sat 15-Nov-14 17:10:28

I was going to type what I really think
but this is more tactful
biscuit

Bonkerz Sat 15-Nov-14 17:15:49

Screams to me of wanting your cake and eating it. He's already stopping at yours 40% of the time anyway and having another child will make it more difficult to prove you are not a couple. I think too many 'couples' are trying this 'living separate and making separate claims' recently and I have seen them get caught too. Not nice but do the right thing and be a family.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 15-Nov-14 17:17:46

Whether they live together or not is nobody else's business so just cut it out!! OP- you are effectively a lone parent and totally entitled to claim as one. Put an appeal in and ask for a hardship payment at the same time. You will need to take your ID and a bank statement, and they should come back to you within four hours or so.

Bearbehind Sat 15-Nov-14 17:20:11

scarlett she is not a lone parent- in 1 month she will have 2 children by the same man who only doesn't live with her because it suits them both- that does not make her a lone parent.

TalkinPeace Sat 15-Nov-14 17:20:50

scarletts
She is pregnant - that implies a pretty active relationship.
Explaining the current situation while claiming as a single person is going to be a pretty big ask.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 15-Nov-14 17:24:57

Yes, I understand that, but that doesn't mean they have to live together! No one knows what is going on in this relationship and in many cases it is absolutely the right thing not to be living together. I have first hand experience of this and strongly feel that this is not the forum to be 'advising' on relationship issues as you simply do not have the information required to make a balanced judgement. For example- I am working with a pregnant lady at the moment who is in a relationship with a heroin addict who has previously been abusive! Living together would raise a huge number of child protection issues and would be a disaster. So like I said- butt out.smile

Frusso Sat 15-Nov-14 17:26:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TalkinPeace Sat 15-Nov-14 17:28:22

for the first time ever I'm going to have to hide a thread on this board as its making me angry.

coco2303 Sat 15-Nov-14 17:28:33

I have no problem in being honest and always have been while I have been in benefits. I have always worked before having my daughter and the only reason I didn't go back to work is because I found out I was pregnant again (was a suprise) and as I am high risk pregnancy I was advised by consultant not to work while pregnant.
I will also be returning to work after thus baby so I am not just trying to live off benefits forever but yes at the moment I need financial help.
Everyone has their own opinion which is fine and I don't want to cause animosity I was just looking for advice not to be slated for my personal circumstances.
All comments have been noted and thank you for taking the time to respond.

kilmuir Sat 15-Nov-14 17:30:05

Take, take, take

Bearbehind Sat 15-Nov-14 17:30:17

Eh- how can running 2 households possibly be more cost effective than running 1 frusso - unless that's based on bucking the system so both receive enhanced benefits.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Sat 15-Nov-14 17:31:20

You told them you were a couple. You're having another baby with him. They made the obvious conclusion. I'm not sure what you expected tbh?

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 15-Nov-14 17:31:20

I am sorry my comments have made you angry talkinpeace, but I was simply stating the reality and why people should really think more before making judgements without knowing the full facts. This is a money topic, not a relationship thread.

InfinitySeven Sat 15-Nov-14 17:32:15

You can't claim as a single parent if you are in a relationship, even if you don't live together.

You need to work out what you will be entitled to, based on his income too.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 15-Nov-14 17:33:16

You are perfectly entitled to claim as a lone parent if you have a partner that doesn't live with you!

Bearbehind Sat 15-Nov-14 17:34:30

scarletts unless you know more than is on this thread- the reality you stated is not a fact- the OP is not a lone parent and is thus not entitled to claim benefits as such.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now