Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Housing benefit / mortgage

(7 Posts)
MrsGiraffe12 Sat 15-Nov-14 16:00:56

Not asking for myself but:

Does anyone know if you can get housing benefit when your name is on a mortgage?! My best friends marriage has broken up and her and her 3 kids have to move out of the martial home. Her name is on the joint mortgage but she needs to rent a flat elsewhere x

TalkinPeace Sat 15-Nov-14 16:46:53

I cannot see why not.

EllaJayne123 Sat 15-Nov-14 16:48:13

They work out half the value of the house, vs what is left outstanding on the mortgage.. And class what's left as savings, if it's more than 6k she can't unless she appeals stating her circumstances and has proof house is on the market.

Babyroobs Sat 15-Nov-14 19:00:22

No you can't when you won half a house , they would expect the house to be on the market. I think it does depend on the equity as pp says.

Chaseface Sat 15-Nov-14 19:01:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Sat 15-Nov-14 19:02:11

She might short term, depending on finances, but normally she and the dc would remain in the house while it was up for sale and he rent.

IDontDoIroning Sat 15-Nov-14 22:21:38

I think she can if she has evidence she has fled the former marital home and that it is up for sale.
Of course when it is sold if she has proceeds greater than the upper capital limits for benefits then the benefits will cease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now