Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

One term notice in private school

(7 Posts)
sonami Fri 14-Nov-14 22:59:06

I am about to give one term notice in a private school as changing for another one. Ideally, I would like my child to start next term in her new school, BUT we can't as we'll loose one term money in the current school.
A friend of mine was in the same situation, however her new school has offered a free term (with immediate start as this is what she wanted and the place was available), taking into consideration that they have to pay to the old school one term fees.
Has anyone heard of this in another private schools?
The place in the new school is available now, but I don't dare to ask if they can take my child on for free for one term as I have to pay the other school.
I certainly can't afford paying to both.
Thanks.

Rockchick1984 Sat 15-Nov-14 12:38:31

Just ask - what's the worst they can do?

Inthedarkaboutfashion Mon 17-Nov-14 10:51:49

Explain to the new school that you would like your child to start immediately but have to give a terms notice (or pay a terms fees in Leui) to the old school and you can't afford two sets of fees for the same term. They might offer a huge reduction in fees for the first term. I would imagine that they will still charge for consumables but that will be a tiny amount in comparison to the full terms fees.

somami Mon 17-Nov-14 11:24:14

Thank you for yor reply, Inthedarkaboutfashion! Have you heard/experienced that some schools do these reductions? My husband feels we shouldn't embarrassed ourselves - no one will educate your child in private school for free.
Thanks

Heels99 Mon 17-Nov-14 11:31:50

But yet just said your friend got a free term?

SoonToBeSix Mon 17-Nov-14 11:38:52

Heels the poster above you is not the op. Different name.

Greenfizzywater Tue 18-Nov-14 06:21:04

OP have you changed your username? I've never heard of it but it doesn't hurt to ask. Ring up the Bursar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now