Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Didn't know about child benefit!!

(8 Posts)
Fayezzle Wed 12-Nov-14 16:50:55

Am I the only person in the country who didn’t know about child benefit??? I just presumed I wouldn’t qualify for any benefits and didn’t look into it… as it turns out, CB is for pretty much everyone and now I’ve lost out on months’ worth of money.
Nobody – friends, family, registrar, healthcare professionals – mentioned it to me, and I never took a good look at my Bounty Pack when I left hospital because I had more important things on my mind at the time! I just thought it was a load of adverts. Feel extremely stupid.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 12-Nov-14 16:53:08

I'm pretty sure you can put in a backdated claim for up to a year ago. Worth checking. CB is for everyone, but if you and/or your partner earn over £50k you'll have to pay some/all of it back.

PrettyPictures92 Wed 12-Nov-14 16:53:29

Do you know they back date it? Just put the date you want to claim from on it (the day your little one was born) and they back date it for you. Not sure if there's a limit on how far back but I'd forgotten to apply for my ds and they backdated it 3 months for me

WishUponAStar88 Wed 12-Nov-14 16:53:41

I don't know how old your baby is but you can backdate it up to 3 months if that helps. You're right though no one mentions it to you! I found out through a friend when pregnant but had previously also presumed I wouldn't get anything!

TweedAddict Wed 12-Nov-14 16:54:14

It happens to a few fair new mothers unfortunately. I years ago missed out on the mat grant as no one told me. But ok you've lost a few months you will get CB until they are 16 so it's a long term benefit. Give them a call they may back date it?

Fayezzle Wed 12-Nov-14 18:28:20

Thank you all for your comments! You've made me feel a bit better. My baby is seven months' old and they only backdate up to three months, so we've lost a fair chunk of money. Sooooo annoyed at myself for not being on the ball.
You are right though TweedAddict, it is a long term benefit, and one I wasn't expecting, so I suppose I should look on the bright side!!

TrendStopper Sun 16-Nov-14 12:30:29

Our midwives inform new mothers about child benefit. Also when we register new babies you can also claim benefits (cb/tax credits) at the same time.

SoonToBeSix Wed 19-Nov-14 23:49:00

Also it's till age 19 if in full time below degree level education not 16.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now