Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Christmas budget

(6 Posts)
Betty1980 Mon 10-Nov-14 21:18:00

trying to get an idea what people think is a reasonable amount of money to spend on presents for dc for Christmas. They really don't need more toys but obviously want them. aged 9, 5 and 2...

TallulahTwinkletoes Mon 10-Nov-14 21:22:19

I don't think it's about cost. It's about getting value for money.

Last Xmas, DD was two. We spent £80 and that includes Santas stuff and she got a shit load.

This year I'll spend about £50 as I think I can get loads of stuff for her from b and m and she'll be massively happy.

At nine tho, I have no idea. Sorry.

OpiesOldLady Mon 10-Nov-14 21:24:54

Well, whatever you can afford to spend, really.

I have four DC's, 10, 6, 4 and 2.

They have a present from Santa, and then I work on the four gift rule -

Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read.

They then also get gifts from other family member too, although this year they are putting together to get experiences rather than things - local farm annual passes and tickets to the pantomime. Memories rather than even more toys.

Pigmella Mon 10-Nov-14 21:25:45

Spend what is right for you. That's the only answer.
If money is tight, then I suggest wrapping some of the older children's unwanted toys up for the 2 year old - they'll never know. Actually I'd do that anyway! You will not remember what you got for Christmas age 2 or 5! Age 9 you might!
If money is not tight - do what you like! I've found that although I try to buy loads of presents (I like the idea of a big pile of pressies and the excitement that causes) most are junk/rubbish and just get ignored. I'm being very sensible this year.

specialsubject Tue 11-Nov-14 10:01:52

remember that all these 'wants' for plastic tat waste resources as well as money. Don't buy junk just because it is sparkly.

I like the idea of experiences, also means things last.

foxdongle Tue 11-Nov-14 14:20:30

We always get most of what's on their list as they never put much. I find it's better if you stick to what they really want instead of trying to find lots of other things.
A little girl I looked after years ago asked her mum over and over for this one thing (a Barbie with a pet dog- it was about £20) her mum didn't buy it, but spent a small fortune on loads of other stuff. The little girl went on and on about not getting it for about 6 months. It stuck with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now