Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I or should I insure a car that is SORN?

(7 Posts)
photocop Mon 10-Nov-14 11:44:48

I have just SORN'd our car as we're overseas for a while.

I know I don't have to insure a car that is SORN, however I'm paranoid that it'll be struck by lightning or something freak will happen (garage roof will collapse?) anyway very unlikely but it seems risky to not insure the car at all.

Anyone know what the situation is?


specialsubject Mon 10-Nov-14 13:34:11

it is indeed a risk, but you can't insure it if you declared SORN. So you need to pay the tax so you can pay the insurance.

BTW how long will you be away? Cars do no good just sitting there, why not sell it?

jazzandh Mon 10-Nov-14 13:48:24

You can insure a sorn car.

I think there are specialist insurers who will only cover fire and theft.....worth getting a quote I would think depending on the value of your car and how high risk it is?

ouryve Mon 10-Nov-14 14:03:00

And it might be cheaper just to tax it and get a fully comp policy, than a specialist off road policy, simply because there's more competition.

Monathevampire1 Mon 10-Nov-14 15:22:33

You can insure a SORN vehicle, there are several companies offering cover so shop around.

peggyundercrackers Mon 10-Nov-14 15:41:59

you can insure a car which is SORN - we have 2 on SORN just now which are insured because they wont be used over the winter, insurance company didn't ask if they are taxed(ours don't need MOTd because they are old cars)

specialsubject Tue 11-Nov-14 13:20:03

well I never.

still sounds cheaper to get rid of it though, or insure it if it is low-tax.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: