Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credit claim I'm not single! Arghh

(12 Posts)
Katec1980x Sun 09-Nov-14 14:45:25

I had a letter yesterday stating that they think another adult may be living with me blah blah blah! I haven't been with my ex for over 5 years, he lives with his mum but still has all the bills etc registered in his name...which he pays instead of maintenance until I move out (xmas I'm going) I do give him an amount of money each week towards the bills. He has his drivers licence, car insurance, voting forms (electrol roll) and work info registered at his mums address. He's also gonna write a letter as is his mum to say he's been living there for x amount of years. Does anyone have any idea if this info will be enough? Also, the letter states my money will stop on 4th December if they don't hear from me before then. I'm worried if I call and give them the info, and advise I'll send it all out, they'll say its not enough and stop it there and then. I have 4 children to provide for and xmas round the corner and I can't live without my tax credits.
Thank you xxxsmile

ScrambledEggAndToast Sun 09-Nov-14 16:50:48

It probably looks suspicious because the bills are in his name. It isn't unheard of for couples to live apart just so they can a claim more money, they have to be sure.

TalkinPeace Sun 09-Nov-14 17:03:37

Why are the bills still in his name?
The payment can come from his bank with the account being in your name - problem sorted

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 09-Nov-14 17:06:09

Send them what they are asking for and fgs get the bills changed to your name. He can still pay them but they don't need to be in his name. Get him to go on some bills at his mums so he has a trail showing he lives there. Does he still have anything financial at yours that might show up on a credit check?

enderwoman Sun 09-Nov-14 17:14:10

This happened to me despite the bills being in my name.
Ex hadnt told work his new address and used my address for his car because the insurance was cheaper/laziness.

I sent them his bills from his new address and got him to change EVERYTHING even bloody Nectar card so that there was no doubt that we'd separated. I sent the information quickly but also called them up because my bank statements came from overseas and the in branch machines didn't have logos so looked like anyone could print them out.

Katec1980x Sun 09-Nov-14 17:16:36

We both owned the place I live in but he's taken my name off the mortgage recently. It was only temp me staying here until I got myself sorted so didnt think it would be an issue having it all in his name still. Council tax is in my name but water and his sky account is here. I'll get him to change everything over tomorrow. It's a bloody nightmare! Yeah I know it isn't unheard of but this is not the case! He is a violent, control freak! I know how it looks and I also know they're just doing their job. I have quite a few bits I can send them showing he's at his mums and also a letter stating he's been living there for x amount of time. I've had nothing but trouble since splitting with him - he likes to try and keep a hold over me. I'm just gonna call them tomorrow and tell them what I've got and send it recorded delivery.

Katec1980x Sun 09-Nov-14 17:18:29

Enderwoman it's an absolute nightmare. He's coming tomorrow to sort everything so hopefully tax credits will understand and not stop my claim after the date given x

Totesnamechanged Sun 09-Nov-14 17:19:15

Send all you can by recorded delivery well before deadline with a covering letter explaining circumstances.

You say you are moving out after Christmas, is there anything to prove this? Tenancy agreement in your name etc?

Are there any court orders re contact with children etc? Absolutely anything you can think of, and more, send.

Fairylea Sun 09-Nov-14 17:19:49

It's definitely the bills.

Get everything changed to your name alone and get him to pay a lump sum for maintenance direct to your bank (which may be useful for proving income via bank statements later on trust me!) And pay the bills using this.

enderwoman Sun 09-Nov-14 17:34:39

With regards to sending stuff it was touch and go whether or not it would arrive by the deadline so they extended the deadline by a week. According to the case worker the worst thing you can do if you have an "excuse" is to ignore their letters.

Katec1980x Sun 09-Nov-14 19:18:10

No nothing to prove moving out - only a letter from my mum saying I'm going to hers. I'm gonna send it all recorded delivery and call them the day I send it to let them know it's on way. Hopefully I'll get an extention before they stop money :-/ I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what else in terms of evidence they need. From reading these forums tho, it's a pain to get thru (Preston office) regardless, I'll send the info off Tuesday, get him to change as much as he can address wise online then the rest will have to be by phone or letter! Arghhhh I've not slept since Saturday when I recieved the letter!! I want to cry lol

Katec1980x Mon 10-Nov-14 10:06:23

Update!! Spoke to them on the phone and they say they know he's living at mine and tried pressuring me into doing a joint claim!! Errrrr no coz he's not here!! Gotta send evidence to them, mortgage statement, bank statements and council tax letter! Reiterated they will not stop my money until the 4th December coz its nearly xmas and I need to know where I stand blah blah blah! Very cocksure man I spoke to, sounded about 20! I was polite and told him I will not leave this as he's not living with me and I'll prove it! We will see what happens once I've sent details off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now