Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Housing Benefit for single person on minimum wage?

(8 Posts)
Goldenlab Sat 08-Nov-14 08:16:03

Hello, I wonder if anyone could help with this one, I've been trying to put the figures through the direct gov benefit calculator but don't have enough pieces of information to get an answer. I'm helping a friend (in her late twenties) to find somewhere to live. She's homeless at the moment and has just started a full time job on minimum wage (thus 35 hours a week @ £6.50 an hour). To rent a room as a lodger in this area is £100 a week, minimum (south east). Could anyone advise on whether she could claim any housing benefit towards the rent? I've managed to find out that if she were unemployed she could claim £65 HB, but not whether she could claim anything now she has started working.

dancemom Sat 08-Nov-14 08:20:03

It depends on the LHA rate where she lives. Her local council website should have a calculator to help you.

Monathevampire1 Sat 08-Nov-14 08:23:50

Your friend will gross £227.50 a week so won't qualify for any help.

Chopstheduck Sat 08-Nov-14 08:26:12

I very much doubt it. will tell you exactly what she is entitled to though.

Goldenlab Sat 08-Nov-14 17:13:38

Thank you all. Suspected it would be a no.

Chunderella Sun 09-Nov-14 16:05:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoonToBeSix Sun 09-Nov-14 16:08:59

All circumstances are different, my friend gets full hb her dh earns 22k.

Lilmissconcerned Sun 07-Dec-14 22:14:26

Seems if your single, no kids and work full time.. Your entitled to nothing... Grates me cause things can be just a tough for people xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: