Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Splitting childcare vouchers

(4 Posts)
ChazzerChaser Wed 05-Nov-14 21:55:15

My partner and I can both get vouchers. We're both part time, average salary pension scheme. Both below higher rate tax. We don't need the full amount we're eligible for. Is there any benefit to both taking an amount each or taking it all from one person? I've got a vague recollection there's some tax or pension thing that makes a difference?

Greenfizzywater Thu 06-Nov-14 21:57:24

You still get them whilst on mat leave, even if unpaid, so if you're planning more children you should take the maximum. Also remember they can be used for holiday clubs etc not just childcare. If you become higher rate taxpayers and are already in the scheme I think (might be wrong) that you could both still claim the £243 not £134 (or whatever it is) whereas if one of you leaves then rejoins as a higher rate taxpayer you can't take as much. So I'd suggest if you're planning more kids you take the maximum and your partner takes £10 per month or something to stay in the scheme.

Greenfizzywater Thu 06-Nov-14 21:58:04

I'm being very sexist and assuming you are a woman and your partner is a man! forgive me if one or the other of those isn't true.

ChazzerChaser Sun 09-Nov-14 20:36:10

Thanks. Good point re staying in the scheme. And you did get the sexes the right way round grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now